cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connorw1502
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Wifi connection issues

So considering we are supposed to be on fibre broadband with 5Ghz bandwidth the connection i am getting is useless.

Whenever i go to play a game i lag to the point where the game is unplayable
This is not okay considering how “amazing” this connection is supposed to be
Not impressed and would very much appreciate if this could be resolved as soon as possible
Thanks
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Wifi connection issues

If you run a speed test what are you getting?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 13

Any serious gamer uses a wired connection. There are that many issues that the ISP cannot be held responsible for, that is why no ISP guarantees wireless speeds.

Gary_C
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Worth noting that while 5ghz has a higher achievable speed, its not as good as 2.4ghz for range and can drop off speed drastically.

Might be worth trying the 2.4ghz connection to see if that helps at all, also moving the channel to see if you can find one with less noise or contention.

Best thing though, is a wired connection.

Connorw1502
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

I am on a wired connection though that's the problem I'm not sure why I have such an issue with my ping especially considering that I am close to most of my friends who do not have similar issues

0 Ratings
Connorw1502
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

on speedtest.net i get 60 down and 20 up with about 10ms ping however this is never the case during games where i can fluctuate between 10ms and 150ms 

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

@Connorw1502wrote:

I am on a wired connection though that's the problem I'm not sure why I have such an issue with my ping especially considering that I am close to most of my friends who do not have similar issues

Ah

You mentioned GHz in your first post which suggests a wifi connection.

So you are wired into the router, but your lag in games is high ? but fine when you do a speed test.

0 Ratings
Connorw1502
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

the reason I mentioned GHz is that I was under the assumption that this band should have sufficient bandwidth to support other family members of the household.

yes, I am wired into the modem through a bt broadband extender flex 500 powerline kit and get an average of 40mb down and 20mb up with 10ms of latency on speedtest.net, however in games have very unstable ping.

I have done a bit of research and maybe a new modem with QoS capabilities could be a solution, what do you think?

thanks, Connor

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

@Connorw1502wrote:

the reason I mentioned GHz is that I was under the assumption that this band should have sufficient bandwidth to support other family members of the household.

yes, I am wired into the modem through a bt broadband extender flex 500 powerline kit and get an average of 40mb down and 20mb up with 10ms of latency on speedtest.net, however in games have very unstable ping.

I have done a bit of research and maybe a new modem with QoS capabilities could be a solution, what do you think?

thanks, Connor

Ah!

Try it without the powerline kit.

I found they caused all sorts of lag issues when I had them, worked fine with speed test, but seemed to generate lots of lag, dont know why or how, but for me they were very poor (almost put a more 'descriptive' word there, but dont want to breach the forum terms).

I would for testing purposes, try a direct cable first and see if that helps. If it does then either its time to run a cable, or even try wifi on your gaming machine (not normally ideal, but it should be fine)

0 Ratings
Connorw1502
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Removing my pc from my room may not be an option since all cables have been "managed" and messing with them is ultimately going to be a headache. 

would you suggest that I disconnect the bt powerline kits and use my alternative kit from tp-link that I used to use?

0 Ratings