cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

Wifi connection to computer

Go to solution

Just had fibre broadband installed and the engineer connected the router to my desktop computer with an ethernet cable. I noticed that, when I switch the computer off, the wi-fi goes to sleep. Is the cable necessary?

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: Wifi connection to computer

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by 'the wifi goes to sleep' but if your PC has wifi capability, then no, you don't need to connect via an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution

Disconnected the ethernet cable and lost wi-fi on the computer! So I've reconnected it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

you computer cannot be connect to internet using ethernet and wifi at same time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

Do you actually mean you lose 'wifi' or do you mean you lose internet connection. There seems to be a tendency these days to refer to internet connectivity as WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution
I've just checked - my computer isn't connecting through wifi but through the cable, possibly too old a model! When I switched it off last night, the wifi router went to orange (if I remember rightly) i.e. working but not connecting to the internet. I'll end up ringing BT perhaps at some point or not switching off the computer!
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

The router shouldn't change colour when turning off the computer. The colour changes are indications of the connectivity of the router to your broadband service, not towards your computer. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

@paulallard 

Disconnect the ethernet, on your computer, open Network & Internet and ensure that wifi is turned on!

wifi on.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

Wifi does not appear in my Network and internet

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Then your computer doesn't have a wifi adapter and will need to be connected via Ethernet. Or you could buy a USB wifi dongle, they are very cheap.

0 Ratings