cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worldweary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Wifi disconnecting on ipad when streaming video

I have an iPad 2, running iOS 7. I am on BT Infinity with a Home Hub 3.

When watching streaming video such as YouTube or BBC iPlayer, the wifi disconnects before the clip or programme is fully downloaded, causing the video to stop playing. The only way to get it going again is to go into Safari and then the Wifi immediately reconnects.

I have already tried the following solutions I found on the web:

Switching the iPad off and on
Turning wifi off and on
Asking it to forget the network then reconnecting
Renewing the lease
Rebooting the Home Hub
Changing the channel on the Home Hub (I use 11, but have tried 1,6 and auto but they either make no difference or render the whole connection volatile)

None of the above worked, I still lose the connection while watching videos. The connection never drops during normal surfing, email etc.

Any suggestions other than the above as to what I can do? I was thinking of upgrading my iPad this year but I see from a google search that the iPad Air has this problem too according to some users, so that's putting me off!

It seems very odd that the disconnecting is only during streaming videos, and I stress again that it does NOT happen at any other time.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Steve
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wifi disconnecting on ipad when streaming video

Does any other device drop out when streaming?

When you say rebooting the homehub, do you mean a soft reset or a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. If you haven't done a fatory reset try that.

The factory reset will turn "Smart Wireless" back on so I would go into the hub management and select a wireless channel. If you haven't tried it, try channel 13. It is not normally selected by routers so is usually the least congested channel.

worldweary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply.

It's just the iPad; my wife and children's' Android devices have no problem with streaming video at all.

I have never tried a factory reset because it sounded quite drastic! I didn't change the SSID or the wireless key from when I first got it, so presume they would be the same if I did carry out the reset?

I must admit I didn't even know there was a Channel 13! I will maybe give that a go too.

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Yes the factory reset will keep the same SSid and wireless passkey that is on the Homehub label. 

Out of interest have you tried the ipad on another network to see how it performs?

0 Ratings
worldweary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Good point. I have used it on other networks but haven't usually been streaming video there. Will try it out when I next get a chance.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
worldweary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Sorry, one more question.

If i do a factory reset on the Hub, does that mean I will have to set up every device we have to connect to it again? Or does the fact that I never changed the SSID or the wireless key mean that the devices will automatically connect to it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

If you never changed the SSid or wireless passkey your devices will just reconnect as normal.

worldweary
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks again. I tried channel 13 and it seemed to work better, with less dropouts (albeit not perfect) but sadly my slightly ageing laptop wouldn't recognise the network at all with the Hub set to that channel, so I had to switch it back to 11!

Will try the factory reset at some point to see if that improves things.
0 Ratings
messagetosiva
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Hi Steve

@worldweary wrote:
Thanks again. I tried channel 13 and it seemed to work better, with less dropouts (albeit not perfect) but sadly my slightly ageing laptop wouldn't recognise the network at all with the Hub set to that channel, so I had to switch it back to 11!

Will try the factory reset at some point to see if that improves things.

I have the same issue with my iPad when streaming videos...like the issue posted on ‎25-04-2014 18h36 by Steve.

Steve - Can you kinldy clarify how you resolved the problem finally.

I was infact planning to change the iPad or sell it off due to this recurring problem.

Thanks and regards

Siva

0 Ratings