cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
701 Views
Message 11 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms

Thank you. I have ordered a TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Twin Pack. Cheers!

0 Ratings
Reply
684 Views
Message 12 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms


@SimonG62 wrote:

Thank you. I have ordered a TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Twin Pack. Cheers!


Hopefully a twin pack should be enough, but its easy to add another node if needed. That would also give an alternative routing between nodes should the main path suffer interference.

You should be able to turn off the main wireless SSID on the Smart Hub 2 to avoid any possible interference. 

Connecting the first node to the home hub using a longer Ethernet cable, it should be possible to locate it in a better position in the room, away from the home hub.

 

0 Ratings
Reply
653 Views
Message 13 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms

Thank you, Keith. I have set up the new Mesh system. It only comes with a short ethernet cable, so I will get a longer one and position the cable-connected Mesh unit near the doorway.

You recommended turning off the main wireless SSID on the Smart Hub 2 router to avoid interference. Once I have all the family devices connected to the Mesh network and complete my testing, can you tell me how I disable the main SSID, please?

I have my fingers crossed!

0 Ratings
Reply
645 Views
Message 14 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms


@SimonG62 wrote:

can you tell me how I disable the main SSID, please?

I have my fingers crossed!


I do not use a BT Home hub, but someone else may be able to help.

0 Ratings
Reply
636 Views
Message 15 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms

@SimonG62 simply go to advanced wireless settings in the hub manager and turn either or both WiFi bands off as required.

0 Ratings
Reply
618 Views
Message 16 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms

I see. Under 'Configuration', I can turn WiFi off for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz and this should remove the BT WiFi network but retain the Mesh WiFi, if I understand correctly.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Reply
616 Views
Message 17 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms


@SimonG62 wrote:

I see. Under 'Configuration', I can turn WiFi off for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz and this should remove the BT WiFi network but retain the Mesh WiFi, if I understand correctly.

Thank you.


Why would you want to retain the BT complete Wi-Fi mesh, as you are now using your own wireless mesh? You cannot have both running, although I think that the "hidden" networks cannot actually be turned off at the moment. 

Remember that the Deco does not connect to the Smart Hub using wireless, only Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Reply
599 Views
Message 18 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms

Sorry, Keith, perhaps I misused the terminology. Surely I need to retain the Mesh Wifi so I can select it for my client devices, e.g. phones, laptops, chromecast, etc.? So it's only the BT network WiFi that I will be disabling through the Advanced Wireless settings on the router admin console. The Mesh client devices aren't something I can configure through the admin console anyway - though I can remove them from the network, which of course I won't do.

Are we on the same page?

0 Ratings
Reply
594 Views
Message 19 of 19

Re: Wifi dropout in some rooms


@SimonG62 wrote:

Sorry, Keith, perhaps I misused the terminology. Surely I need to retain the Mesh Wifi so I can select it for my client devices, e.g. phones, laptops, chromecast, etc.? So it's only the BT network WiFi that I will be disabling through the Advanced Wireless settings on the router admin console. The Mesh client devices aren't something I can configure through the admin console anyway - though I can remove them from the network, which of course I won't do.

Are we on the same page?


Your devices will be connection to the TP Link Deco mesh wireless network, that has nothing to do with the home hub`s wireless network. The home hub is just acting as a modem/router, and the TP Link is providing wireless connectivity. Nothing should be connected to the wireless on the home hub.

The Smart Hub 2 only forms a wireless mesh with the black BT Complete Wi-Fi discs, nothing else.

You have just two TP link mesh nodes, so devices can only connect to one of those, depending on the connecting  device itself, if it supports roaming, and the TP link mesh software.

0 Ratings
Reply