cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Wifi possible via a WAP connected to a slave socket?

I am visiting a family property that has three separate buildings - the house,  barn and the loft. The main phone wire runs into the barn so the master socket is here, but as this was not an ideal location for a router this was installed via a slave socket in the house. I guess the implications of this are slower speeds but the house still have adequate internet connectivity. It should also be noted that the router uses a microfilter.

I now need to install internet in the loft which has a phone line installed (another slave socket) but is on a different electrical circuit to the house and barn.

Its not possible to use a wifi extender because of the distance from the house & the loft & because the loft has thick stone walls.

Therefore could I create wifi connectivity in the loft if I attach a microfilter to the slave socket & then attach a Wireless Access Point to this microfilter? Or maybe its possible to use a second router and configure this as a wireless access point? I am just trying to understand what I might need in terms of equipment before I travel to this property. Any helps would be appreciated

Thanks

James

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wifi possible via a WAP connected to a slave socket?

You can only connect 1 router to your phone line for broadband. You could connect another router to main router but needs to be by Ethernet cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wifi possible via a WAP connected to a slave socket?

Can't be done. You need to connect the WAP to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Snap!!

0 Ratings