cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Wifi signal is not good enough in my office - Can I get my master socket changed ?

Hi everyone, 

I recently moved a few weeks ago. When moving an engineer came out to install my master socket for me. He asked where I would like it and I said ideally in my office as that's where I would need to best signal as I'm mainly working from home at the moment so I need a good connection for Zoom/Team meetings. 

He said yeah that would be possible but it would be a lot more work and hassle for him as he would have to drill a hole up into the bedroom and run a wire across where as if he just installed in the living room it would be easier and the wifi would be a good enough connection up in my office. 

At the point I felt a little uncomfortable and I didn't want to get into an argument so I agreed. In my office, I will loose signal from time to time and the signal strength isn't great at all. 

I was wondering if there is anything I could do about it as it's affecting my work. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wifi signal is not good enough in my office - Can I get my master socket changed ?

Several different options you have without moving the master socket:

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Wifi signal is not good enough in my office - Can I get my master socket changed ?

You could consider using a pair of Wifi Powerline adaptors which would give you a wireless signal in your office.

See link.

Powerline Adapters | HomePlug | Wi-Fi Extenders | BT Shop

You do not need to use BT Powerline adaptors. Other brands are available.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Yeah I had looked at these options but I'm just pretty annoyed at the moment that it seems I'm going to have to go spend more money on a mesh kit or wifi extender when it was possible for the engineer to install the master socket in or closer to my office but as my time slot was the last of the day they wanted to get finished sooner

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Openreach charge a minimum of £130 to come out, you could look at an upgrade to Complete Wi-Fi which includes up to 3 discs and a Wi-Fi guarantee.

The BT Shop also has several options and you'd own the equipment outright, see Whole Home Wi-Fi 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

To move the master socket you are likely to have to pay then usual Openreach Engineer callout charge

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Unfortunately you had a discussion with the installer about where to install the master socket and you agreed to where it was installed.  You should have stood your ground and had it installed in your office. 

You could try asking BT to have it moved but as others have said, you will probably be charged for it to be done.