cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Will Full Fibre make a difference

Currently have a copper wire connection and Wi-Fi to my laptop and receive acceptable reliable broadband service. Full Fibre is now available. Would I see any improvement in broadband speed considering that Full Fibre is to the house then copper wire to the router and then Wi-Fi to my laptop. Copper rand Wi-Fi will cancel out any benefits of the Full Fibre?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Will Full Fibre make a difference

By Full Fibre - do you mean FTTP? Is there an offer you have seen? 

Depends on your requirements. It your current speeds are acceptable then why switch. On the other hand FTTP is inherently more reliable than the old copper network AND who knows where technology will go (in terms of needing higher speeds).  Perhaps get a quote and factor that in.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

@AMC1 wrote:

Currently have a copper wire connection and Wi-Fi to my laptop and receive acceptable reliable broadband service. Full Fibre is now available. Would I see any improvement in broadband speed considering that Full Fibre is to the house then copper wire to the router and then Wi-Fi to my laptop. Copper rand Wi-Fi will cancel out any benefits of the Full Fibre?

The copper wire (Ethernet) from you hub to your laptop is capable of 1Gbps (1000Mbps), the copper wire to your house is only capable of 80Mbps, even if you have maximum speed. and is likely to be much lower. Wifi will be less than 1Gbps but vastly faster than 80Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The speeds you'll get via WiFi are dependent on so many different variables with the hardware within your laptop so it's very hard to say whether you'll see any improvement. 

The only improvement that any ISP will guarantee is the speed to your hub which is your sync speed. Any speeds beyond the hub and onto your own network are not guaranteed as they are out of the control of the ISP.

0 Ratings