cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
willowen100
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Will The ADSL Connection Work Even Though I Pay For BT Infinity?

Hi guys

I want to turn my FTTP Openreach modem off for about 48 hours to troubleshoot a jittery connection (hoping I can trick the remote system to think there a problem with the connection, making it more stable when it drops the speeds), and I was wondering if the ADSL connection would still work allowing me to carry on using the broadband?

I obviously know that I wouldn't be able to connect the fibre broadband connection and the ADSL connection simultaneously without paying for a second broadband line, but could I temporarily switch over without any complications with BT?

Many thanks

Will
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will The ADSL Connection Work Even Though I Pay For BT Infinity?

No it would not, its a totally different technology and only works over copper cable from equipment in the exchange.

Your only solution would be to pay for a copper line, and ADSL, if that is available at your house.

The fact that you have FTTP, could mean that there are no copper routes available, and Openreach have decided to just install optical fibres into the houses.

I am surprised the FTTP is giving issues, unless ther is a bad fibre splitter or joint somewhere.

Are you sure you have FTTP and not FTTC?

Look here https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434070

0 Ratings
willowen100
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the quick reply. Our house is 14 years old and it has a master socket which ADSL2+ used to run on. I used my old modem to provide broadband to my Linksys WRT1900AC router and worked fine. I definitely have a FTTP line because the BT Infinity 4 300Mbps package is available to me.

The reason I'm having fibre problems is online gaming has become somewhat impossible in first person shooters, whereby I'm constantly getting beaten. I've configured my router for bufferfloat and it hasn't made much of a difference. I've also been on the phone to BT and there's nothing they can do as I'm on a FTTP line and there's no DLM they can reset etc.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I assume you have the Openreach fibre modem, are you using a BT home hub as the router, or another one?

Is your gaming computer connected to the router using an Ethernet cable, as wireless is no good for gaming due to increased latency?

0 Ratings
willowen100
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yes I've got the Openreach modem, and I'm using a third party router. However, I have used my HH5 and makes no physical difference in my games. I play on games consoles and they're connected via powerline adapters, but I've tried my CAT5e cable between the games consoles themselves and the router (even directly bypassing a router to give me a NAT type 1 connection) and it's still bad.