Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
b2004oston
Message 1 of 5

Will a broadband extender work with two ring mains

Go to solution

I have spent most of the evening live chatting with BT but to no avail.  Basically we live in an old property with two ring mains.  We receive good broadband signal where the hub is situated (back of the house) but can't get a signal in the front of the house.  Will a broadband extender work - have received conflicting reports - both from different BT people.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will a broadband extender work with two ring mains

Go to solution
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Why not try it and find out?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If the two ring mains go through the same consumer unit (fuse box) the extenders should work. If the ring mains go through different consumer units they won't work because the signal can not cross from one ring to the other. 

0 Ratings
b2004oston
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we have two fuse boxes.
0 Ratings
back_ache
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I would think it should cross from one ring and fuseboard to the other, its working for us like this (from the ground floor to an attic converstion) and the same should be true for all but the largest homes.

The reason is what it can't do (without very special equipment) is jump from one "phase" to another but that kind of installation is only in buildings where a *huge* amount of power is needed (like a business) or they have special motors that need it (for pool pumps and lifts for example)

I'd give it a go and if the extenders dosn't work it your situation, sell them on ebay!

0 Ratings