cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Will a different modem make my Infinity package faster?

I have Infinity but it is slow (16mbps) because the infrastructure in my area is a mess and full of aluminium. Openreach seem to have written it off (have been through multiple engineer visits etc). My question now is would a different router, either a budget one such as this:

TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, Support Modem Only Mode, 1 USB, 2.0 Port, UK Plug (TD-W9970)

or a high end one like this:

TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, TalkTalk, EE and PlusNet Fibre) USB 3.0, 2.0 Ports, UK Plug (Archer VR900)

be able to squeeze any more out of the line? I know these routers have enhanced features for LAN etc but can they actually deliver any better WAN performance?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Will a different modem make my Infinity package faster?

Not really, the limitation is due to your line quality, not the modem/router.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Which home hub are you using at the moment?

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I've never managed to get the speeds the checker says (27-32mbps) it was ok at 25 for a while but has deteriorated again recently. I'm on the HH5. I suspected that there was nothing to be done, but wondered if a more sophisticated modem could squeeze a bit more signal out of the noise.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

What connection speed is the HH5 showing?

From the hub manager, select troubleshooting, then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Its the connection speed not the download speed that BT specify.

As for another router, it depends on how much you want to spend, as it may not make any difference, apart from possibly better wireless coverage.

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I always measure my speed by looking at the DSL link speeds (saves the time wasting 'are you using a wired connection?' etc questions from technical support). Here's confirmation that the line is rubbish:

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076284+1519007674 3. Firmware version: v0.07.06.01239-BT (Type B) Last updated 11/3/2017 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 07:13:25 6. Data Rate: 4294 / 15524 7. Maximum Data Rate: 5475 / 14441 8. Noise Margin: 8.0 / 4.2 9. Line Attenuation: 30.2 / 26.7 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 12.4 MB / 200.7 MB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Speed seems slow.

Are these your availability results taken from an older thread?

If they are, then you are in range B impacted, which could indicate an internal wiring issue.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 19.30.29.png

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Thet probably are my results... every inch of the internal wiring (and probably most of the accessible external bits) were replaced back when I first got Infinity (as initially it could barely even hold a connection) After all that the link speed sat at 24999 happily for many months.

Then it started going down (engineer came but could not improve).

Then a truck drove into a pole and knocked it out altogther.

then when it turned back on it went up to 24999 again for a couple of hours before dropping to the current level.

Make of that what you will, but I've been told there is aluminium wiring and a long run from the cabinet. One engineer (who came to diagnose the truck issue) mentioned that some 'box' was a mess and the were going to overhaul it, but I don't think they ever did because they discovered the truck was to blame.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

I know you have probably been through this before, but if you would not mind me checking all points, it may help, as these are things that a broadband boost technician would look at, but not a phone technician.

You say your line comes in overhead, are there any junction boxes before the master socket, and do you have any other sockets?

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Oujmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Nothing unusual on the property, it's just a straight run of cable from the pole to my house then straight down the outside of the wall, through a hole and into the socket which is a MK3 as in your 4th picture (also new). No other sockets.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

The MK3 faceplates are known to give problems, owing to the large number of components inside. This happened on a recent thread I was involved in.

Could you please remove the bottom section, and plug a microfilter in to the test socket behind. Then plug your phone, and the home hub into the microfilter.

When you have done that, please con you display the connection speed from the home hub.

Example below, just ignore tha fact its a different master socket.

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings