cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Will this setup work to improve BT Halo 3 900 Wi-fi speeds?

Hi,

I am on the 900 Halo 3 package. Months of calls and time spent on the phone have resulted in two upgrades (firstly to whole home Wi-fi, secondly to the new hybrid hub package) as these would apparently improve my Wi-fi coverage and speed.

Having read extensively on here and elsewhere, I am thinking of investing in the Asus RX6000.

However, I cannot replace the SH2, as I will lose my phone line and the discs, plus I have several devices that will require an engineer visit if I change my internet settings eg house alarm.

So will this work?

Leave SH2 in situ. Connect RX6000 via Ethernet to one of the SH2 ports.

Put RX6000 into access point mode (assuming this is possible).

Connrct all Wi-fi devices to the Asus, not BT SSID?

Or is there a cheaper option that will give the same results?

I get 400 mb down if I Speedtest stood next to the SH2, but about 60 as soon as I walk ten feet.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Will this setup work to improve BT Halo 3 900 Wi-fi speeds?

@Geoggy21 I had a similar setup with an Orbi (access mode) connected to a SH2  until the SH2 was replaced with a UDM. Assuming the Asus has an access point mode you should be fine. It’s a shame you cannot get the SH2 out out the way. Do you have a lot of interference that’s causing the drop? Have you tried some different channels to see if things improve?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

I thought the SH2 automatically selected the best channel?

I don’t think it helps that they put the Openreach box in the understairs cupboard so the SH2 is in there.

Are there other access point options I can look at that are Wi-fi 6 ready?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Geoggy21 wrote:

I thought the SH2 automatically selected the best channel?

In theory

I don’t think it helps that they put the Openreach box in the understairs cupboard so the SH2 is in there.

No need for it to stay there, you can connect it via up to 100 metres of Cat5E/6/7 Ethernet cable or Powerline adapters.

Are there other access point options I can look at that are Wi-fi 6 ready?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi. So it’s a new build with Ethernet cables out of the understairs cupboard into 3 rooms in the house, ie I have a triple wall socket in there which terminates at wall sockets throughout the house.

Are you suggesting I can move the SH2 to one of those rooms? So the cable from the Openreach box can go straight into one of those sockets, and then from the wall socket elsewhere into the SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Yes.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

The problem that creates is that I lose 2 other cables rooms which I can’t do.

I could put a switch in there and feed Openreach to the switch, then the wall socket so I can use the switch to run the other 2 extensions?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Just realised that won’t work as rooms will be fed direct from the Openreach not the SH2.

I think I’m just going to buy the Asus and see how it goes

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Problem of SH2 is typically, as it not allow you too much change WiFi channels working on....

e.g., if you are unlucky, and many neighbours using BT/Sky etc etc, all 3 5GHz channels will be heavily congested and "smart channel" not helps even... In reality, you will be able to choose one of 3 5GHz channels, or "smart" option, nothing else... Pretty much not enough choice...

Advantage of aftermarket third party router is always plus here, but look forward router which is "tri-band" e.g. even AC router, means 2 Ghz and 2x 5 GHz (channels 36-64 of which SH2 could work only on 36-48 (!!!) and channels 100+).

If you have enough devices supporting AX, go for AX router of course...

I have set SH2 without WiFi, just to handle connection and Digi Voice phone line, and connected TP-Link router via CAT6 cable into it, which providing WiFi on 2,4 Ghz separated, and 2x 5GHz, with channels on both 5 Ghz bands set out of way where typically SH2 is able to operate...

This setup brings me 350 (lower 5 GHz band channel 52(58) with 80 Mhz bandwidth)

to

450 (higher 5 GHz band channel 100(106) again with 80 MHz bandwidth)  Mbps down

and 115 Mbps up on Wifi, on devices able to benefit this.

Also, any obsolete/legacy devices are separated to 2,4 GHz channel, where I am not really worry about speed or bandwigth, but still have chance to change it,...

Directly from SH2, due interference with many other SH2 and Sky routers around, I never gets even half speed.

In theory, you can have still allowed WiFi on SH2 directly as well, if you need some devices keep without needs to change WiFi network and are not critical for speed, but make sure, as any third party router will be set well out of channels 36-48 on 5 Ghz, to avoid interference and erasing any benefits from it...

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

however, you mentioned as you got now hybrid package, with intention as this will help with speed and Wifi coverage?

You was completely taken into BT lies here, to be fair...

BT WholeHome could potentially help with WiFi coverage, but will chain you either to higher price, either to use SH2, which both could be easily avoided with choice of own Mesh system, especially if you have LAN network over the home and able to feed Mesh satelite disks...

BT Hybrid connect HAVE NOT nothing together with your WiFi reliability, or speed... It's purely meant to be BACKUP, when Fibre connection went down , to supply internet connection via integrated 4G network (e.g. in lower speed, but at least some connection instead none).

You was clearly mis sold here, and someone is happy, to have now customer with higher potential revenue possible here...

0 Ratings