cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Win 10 HP Laptop Continually Disconnects from BT Smart Hub 2

Hello, I recently got FTTP BT broadband and have been struggling to maintain a connection to my laptop ever since. On the Network & Sharing Centre, I can see that both the ethernet and wifi connection to the router drop every 15-20 seconds, remain disconnected for a few seconds, and then reconnect. Sometimes they both disconnect at the same time, and sometimes only 1 or the other is disconnected at a time. I have tried using only ethernet, and using only wifi, but the problem remains. I have changed all my cables, installed a new Smart Hub 2, and had customer service take a look but they have no answer. In the Hub's error log I can see the laptop continually disconnecting and reconnecting. I don't seem to have any trouble on any other connected devices, and the laptop previously connected perfectly well to the old router with the previous provider.I have tried updating and reinstalling the setting and drivers on the laptop, and disabled power management of network devices.

Can anyone help fix this please, I am at my wit's end.....

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Win 10 HP Laptop Continually Disconnects from BT Smart Hub 2

If you have not already done it make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the BT hub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Smart Setup is already off

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Have you fixed your wi-Fi channels in the hub settings!

e.g. 2.4 GHz ch 5, 5 GHz ch 36.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

The disconnects also happen over ethernet, so not sure if wifi channels would make a difference?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

If it's happening on both Wi-Fi and ethernet then check that the cable between the hub and ONT is connected properly and that the fibre is fully pushed home in the ONT

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

Thanks, all the cables have been checked and even replaced just in case, the actual internet connection seems fine on all the other devices, so it's just the connection between the laptop and the hub that's at fault.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

You could try concentrating on the wi-Fi aspect first.

Remove any Ethernet connections, and then try wi-Fi connections, e.g. your HP pc. There are Network  Settings in Windows 10, which you have been through, presumably. Once you have stabilised Wi-Fi, then proceed to Ethernet.

Try fixing your wi-Fi channels from within the hub manager.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Sorry what do you mean, try to stabilise wi-fi?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

I suspect your laptop is still looking for your old router which presumably had a different Gateway address.

Try the following.

From Settings, click Network & Internet

Scroll down to the bottom of the Status page and click Network Reset

OR,

Click on Network Troubleshooter just above the reset link 

0 Ratings