I posted on this in another thread, but I think the latest update has changed the situation a bit, so created a new thread with an appropriate subject.
Am two weeks into a fibre broadband connection with BT. I have nine devices, four wired, the rest on wifi. The first few days I didn't notice any issues, but about 5-6 days into service I started noticing periodic speeds of about 1mbps, with a ping latency of around 1000ms. No active streaming/obvious use of bandwidth when this was happening to cause this.
An engineer came in today to check the line/socket/everything inside, which all looked ok. Speeds definitely drop when my laptop is on and connected to wifi (again, no downloads/streaming/anything actively happening). My whole network is affected, so devices on wired connections also have their speed affected. My laptop is wireless, and has no ethernet port. It's a five year old HP spectre running windows 10.
Turning off wifi on my laptop improves the broadband speed immediately. Power-cycling my laptop and router improve things for about 10-20 minutes before speed drops again. I've made sure all my drivers are updated, updated (and reset!) all of my network settings, uninstalled my VPN and antivirus software. I don't have a system restore point from when things seemed to be working, unfortunately. When I look at system processes and performance, I can't see any background processes that seem to be taking up bandwidth.
Short of doing a windows refresh, I'm out of ideas at this point... Has anyone seen this before, or have any other ideas on how to tackle this issue?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Something you could check:-
Are you using an online file backup utility, such as OneDrive?
You could check the upload / download settings, as the rates in OneDrive can be adjusted.
Thanks for the reply, I'm using Backblaze, which is currently uploading 2mbps and receiving 208 kbps.
Also, I should mention I'm using a Smart Hub 2.
When you say you have updated the drivers, did you use the wireless card manufacturer's driver rather than the Windows ones?
You should also ensure that if you have not already done it that you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.
See link how to do that.
Thanks, Smart Setup turned off now. I also changed the wireless mode to Mode 3, in case my laptop was too old for the new ones.
I use Drivermax, so pretty sure my drivers are up to date from the manufacturers'.
For what it's worth, I deleted Backblaze, just to see if it made a difference... Things seem to be working for the minute!
Some improvement then!
One of the things to watch out for, if it's a new install on a Windows 10 laptop, is that all files are linked to OneDrive by default. Perhaps this is not so in your case, but this happens if you are using Office 365.
So far so good now, this morning. Thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye on it and update if there is any change, but I have a feeling it was Backblaze 🙂