cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamieDev
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Windows Vista compatibility with BT Infinity

I was upgraded to BT Infinity yesterday and at the point of upgrade my sony laptop (Windows Vista Ultimate) could find the new home hub but only with local access.  I have another laptop, ipad, iphone, etc that are connecting fine.  Could the wireless driver need to be upgraded?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Windows Vista compatibility with BT Infinity

0 Ratings
JamieDev
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

The help suggests I might need to upgrade my wireless adapter.  Is this normal for BT Infinity?  Can I apply the necessary upgrade via an online download or do I need to buy a new adapter?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@JamieDev wrote:

The help suggests I might need to upgrade my wireless adapter.  Is this normal for BT Infinity?  Can I apply the necessary upgrade via an online download or do I need to buy a new adapter?

If your wireless adapter does not support WPA encryption, then a driver update normally fixes it. I would be surprised if its that old.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Funnily enough I've just had to replace the wireless adaptors on my desktop after a few years; their integrity had slipped.

Check the configuration of the kit on the device. I'd then try a solid ethernet connection and see if the issue is resolved.

If you obtain a connection by ethernet, IMHO I'd get some software to replace the adaptors. £20ish should do it; check the compatability of the software you might buy with your device o/s etc.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
JamieDev
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the suggestions.  My wireless adapter is "g" rather than "n" that BT recommends.  Should I buy an upgrade?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@JamieDev wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  My wireless adapter is "g" rather than "n" that BT recommends.  Should I buy an upgrade?

That should not affect the ability to connect. If you do not have any wireless "n" devices, then set tour home hub to b/g only.

0 Ratings
JamieDev
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Thanks again for the suggestions.  I bought a USB wireless adapter from Maplin yesterdat for £25 which has worked fine.  Much easier than the BT / PC World Know How options, restoring my laptop for the sixth time or replacing all sorts of hardware! 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 12

Personally, i would go back to the Operating system as an issue, Windows Vista is not the greatest and i've had so many issues with it generally.

When i upgraded to Windows 7, connection dropouts etc seemed to stop.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the update.

Its interesting that there is a user with the same problem with a HH3 on the thread below. I have referred them to this thread.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-Going-Down-On-Three-Out-Four-Applian...

0 Ratings