cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dandelion
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Wireless Connection Problem with HTC Mobile Phone

We are at our wits end.  About 3 weeks ago we phoned BT to report poor speeds with our computer connection on our BTHub3 - they did some changes on the line which resulted in download speeds of around 17 (joke!) and now our HTC mobile phone will not connect to the Hub but it does connect to friends BT hubs and other networks (ie Sky).  The phone used to connect automatically but we now have to select it on the list and entering the network key (yes it is the right password!), the phone says "authenticating" then "connected" and after 5 seconds it disconnects.  We have even told the phone to "forget" the network when we are out of range and try to re-connect when in range, with the same problem.  All other mobile devices connect with no problems.  We have just spent another fruitless 2 hours on the phone with BT, resetting the hub, moving the hub, switching the hub off, changing the channels, and still no luck.  My husband is very angry and wants to contact cancellations tomorrow as they don't seem to care, just fob you off all the time with their "line testing" from their pre-designed lists.  Sorry to waffle on but we have nearly given up all hope with this problem.  Anybody got any ideas where we go next (apart from Sky!!).

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Wireless Connection Problem with HTC Mobile Phone

I suggest you try a factory reset of the hub
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

When you did a reset of the Homehub was it a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

If you didn't do that try doing it now. While it is restarting, forget the connection on your phone then turn the phone off and back on then try to remake the connection.

0 Ratings
dandelion
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

I presume you mean using a paperclip in the hole at the back of the hub?  Done that 🙂 - still no joy.

0 Ratings
dandelion
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

BT have even had us disconnecting/reconnecting from the router and moving the hub and router further away from each other.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The hub is the router, I presume you mean from the white Openreach modem? It should make no difference how far they are apart. The Homehub transmits the wireless signal and it is that which connects to the phone, not the modem.

Have you updated the software on the phone recently?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

But have you done a factory reset since having connection problems?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
dandelion
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Sorry, yes I mean the modem (white box), but that is what BT had us doing tonight! They asked us to separate the two boxes by about a metre or as far the the cables will allow.

The phone is only 3 months old and was working on the wireless network fine until they made "changes" on our line to try and improve our download speeds (which has still not been resolved).

0 Ratings
dandelion
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Yes Ray, we did the reset button and the factory reset whilst we were on the phone with BT tonight.  They even changed the channel used on the wireless network, which resulted in losing the Hub for a while.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Any "changes" they made to your line, and I doubt there were any, would not prevent your phone from connecting. As I said, the connection is made through the Homehub. If the phone is not connecting or maintaining the connection it is either a problem with the phone or the Homehub. That is assuming all your other devices do not lose connection.

It is difficult to say which because you say your other devices work OK connected to the Homehub and you say your phone works OK connected to another Homehub.

It is possible that the Homehub is more likely to be the problem because of your speed problems.

You could try and make a direct connection from your PC/Laptop to the modem which will eliminate the Homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if your speeds improve. If it does you will know it is a faulty hub.

This will obviously not allow any wireless devices to connect while you are doing that.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings