cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Wireless Dropping out using WPA & WPA2 Wireless Security

Home Hub 3.0 Type A with mixed clients including Android, iPhones, iPads, Macs and PCs

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.52 (Type A) |

WiFi: b/g/n using both Default SSID & Renamed SSID with WPA & WPA2 Wireless security

Symptoms: Ethernet Broadband access stays operational while the WiFi connection stopped working after an apparently random short period of time. Normally less than 20 Minutes.

After much frustration, rebooting and factory resetting, I switched to b/g with WPA wireless security and the Hub WiFi stayed operational for two days, and now I've been running for an hour with no dropouts using b/g/n and WPA wireless security. 

Yes I know that WPA is less secure than WPA2, but it's way better than WEP, and a stable WiFi hotspot that doesn't involve continuously rebooting the router with the resulting downgrade in speed (Thanks for DLM BT!) is far more acceptable. (The Holiday Cottage is on Orkney and is not in serious risk of WiFi Hackers!!)

Sadly I am at this Holiday Cottage for less time than the Dynamic Line Management will take to get the speed back up by itself. I wonder if I should try and persuade a friendly BT Tech to manually reset the DLM speed. 

The Moral of the Story:

If you are having WiFi repeatedly dropping out then consider
lowering the Wireless Security from WPA & WPA2 to WPA.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wireless Dropping out using WPA & WPA2 Wireless Security

if factory reset didn't solve the wifi problem then as long as in fixed term contract and not rolling monthly then report faulty hub to CS and as for free replacement

I would doubt that CS can reset the DLM and as long as not banded profile the DLM should restore your previous conenction speed provided line is stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

@Adrius42 wrote:

The Moral of the Story:

If you are having WiFi repeatedly dropping out then consider
lowering the Wireless Security from WPA & WPA2 to WPA.

or spend £30 on a decent third party router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

I have at home, this is a rental holiday cottage. Not mine!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Update: The Wireless also dropped out using b/g/n with WPA Only

I have switched back to b/g with WPA Only it stayed up over night!

When will BT fix this?  Anyone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@Adrius42 wrote:

When will BT fix this?  Anyone?

When the owner of the property reports the fault.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Surely Sarcasm doesn’t become a Sage!?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

there is nothing BT will or can do without contact from the BT account owner   as you are only renting a holiday cottage you need to contact the owner of the cottage who presumably is the BT customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Adrius42 wrote:

Surely Sarcasm doesn’t become a Sage!?

Not sarcasm, fact. How else do you think it will get fixed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

If the drop outs are fixed by changing the wireless security it would appear to be a wireless issue and not a broadband/line issue.

It would need to be determined if the router was faulty or if there was another reason such as a wireless device causing the drop outs. If it was a faulty router and the owner was still in contract the router would be replaced free of charge by BT.

If the owner is out of contract he/she would need to replace the router at their own cost.

In any event BT will and can do absolutely nothing until they are advised of a fault by the owner/account holder.

With that in mind I fail to see where sarcasm comes into any of the posts.