cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pedr057
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Wireless connection from cabinet to home?

Go to solution

I’ve just received a cold call from someone claiming to be from BT. He was trying to sell me a free upgrade “to fibre”. When I told him fibre wasn’t yet installed in my street, he contradicted me and said according to the system,  it was. I said that I could see with my own eyes that it had not been installed in my street yet.

He then changed tack and said it was fibre to the cabinet and from there would be wireless. Mobile reception in my area is terrible so why would I want an inferior service to the wired one I have at the moment? I can't find any reference to such a system on the BT website - please could someone point me to it?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wireless connection from cabinet to home?

Go to solution

It was a scam

Pedr057
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks. I should have Googled the number first - is was 01916719997 - several others have reported it as a scam.
0 Ratings
Pedr057
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I submitted a complaint to BT and just had a call from BT on 08003289393 in response. Apparently BT utilises a third party to cold call their customers offering this free upgrade (but it's not wireless from the cabinet but copper wire). I asked them to give their third party contractor a kick up the a**e to ensure they are factually correct and, for example, provide the last four digits of the account number to verify their bone fide.

They did send me an email from a BT domain name and didn't ask for any financial or other details from me so it does appear to be genuine after all.

0 Ratings
Pedr057
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Well activation day for FTTC finally dawned yesterday. Despite being told it was a quick and easy change at the cabinet and / or exchange, by tea time it still wasn’t working. When I phoned to report it I was then told it might take till midnight to activate the new service. Guess what, midnight came and went and the promised follow up call this morning from BT didn’t happen either.

I phoned up again and spoke to several different people until a lady in “orders” asked me what type of Home Hub I had . When I checked and said Home hub 4 she said it doesn’t work with fttc and I should have received a home hub 6 - that’s now in order. No one on any of the previous three calls mentioned that I needed a new hub. Had they told me I could have chased it up when it didn’t arrive. It’s now over a month since the order was placed and instead of having an upgrade I’ve no broadband at all. According to their website (https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47222/c/346) they should be advising me of progress but not a peep from them. Just to add insult to injury the BT mobile 4G here is terrible so struggle to even use my phone.

If it weren’t for the hassle of changing me email id and all that entails I would go elsewhere.
0 Ratings