Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Wireless connection speed with Smarthub

Go to solution

I've recently connected a Smarthub, replacing the previous Netgear one.  I've then checked the wired network speed which came about around 19Mbps.  Wireless is only giving about 4.5 Mbps even when tested with the device no more then 2 feet from the Smarthub.  This is considerably slower than I was getting with the Netgear at typically 8 to 9 Mbps.

The physical connections are exactly the same and there is no evidence of noise on the line.

Is there anything I can do to improve the speed or does it take time for the new router to settle in?

If I upgrade from ADSL to Infinity would I still be able to use the Netgear kit?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireless connection speed with Smarthub

Go to solution

If the Netgear wireless performance is better then keep using it.  Look round the forum for reports of (Smart) Hub 6 issues.  If the model of Netgear you have supports both ADSL and VDSL then it will work with Infinity.

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Liam.  A quick search on the internet regarding VDSL hasn't helped much.  Some say it works, others that it won't.

It's a Netgear N150 modem/router DGN1000.  As I have the Smarthub as backup if it doesn't work, I suppose I can just try.  Hopefully the additional speed of Infinity will compensate for any comparative reduction between the Netgear and Smarthub.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Had a look at Netgear web site, the DGN1000 is ADSL only.  If looking for an all in one replacement for Infinity in the future you might be best looking at modem/routers from Asus, Billion and TP-Link.  There are others like DrayTek, FritzBox etc but they are somewhat more expensive.  Depends on what you want to spend and the features you need, like IPTV support.  Just be certain that if you buy something it supports VDSL.

The alternative is to get an Openreach modem from the well known auction site or buy a modem only and you can still use your current Netgear.  Only two makes of modem only as far as I can tell, the Netgear DM200 and the DrayTek Vigor 130.

The DM200 has limited router functionality and can be made to function as modem only.  The DrayTek is a little more expensive, is modem only and works straight out of the box.

keitht8351
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks again Liam for such a comprehensive reply.  I'll look at moving up to Infinity using the Smarthub to start with as I've already paid for the thing!  If speed is poor I'll investigate the options you suggested.

0 Ratings
keitht8351
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Just an update / correction to the figure I gave for the Netgear router in my original post.  I've run the speed test again and it's consistently around 13Mbsp rather than 8Mbps - 3 times the speed of the Smarthub.  I'm now seriously doubting the value of moving to Infinity if I'm either going to have to spend money on a 3rd party router/modem or potentially take a similar hit on the Infinity speed.

0 Ratings