cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrilobyteMKR
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Wireless connection to Home WiFi (white dishes)

I have my router (BT home hub 2) connected to the internet and I have setup the Home Hifi network.

i have devices such as a hive controller Alexa and a HI FI streaming device in the same room as my router / dish 1.

previously all these devices were linked on a small LAN . 
naturally I want all of music devices etc to be on the same network so I want to connect this dish 1 to the LAN to facilitate this.

However if I disconnect the physical wire from the dish to the BT router the dish goes red and sulks. So it is not talking to the BT Hub wirelessly? any suggestions as to how I could rectify this

thanks

Malcolm

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireless connection to Home WiFi (white dishes)

@TrilobyteMKR 

The white disks cannot connect to the home hub via wireless, only the black disks can do that.

You need to have one of the white disks connected to the home hub, all of the time, as that forms the first node in the mesh.

That is why they are sold as a minimum of two disks.

0 Ratings
TrilobyteMKR
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for that, is it possible to buy and mix one of the black dishes with the white ones?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

no the black and white are not compatible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Why did you end up with only one white disk, as they are sold as either two or three?

You can add a black disk to your SH2, as part of your broadband package with guaranteed wifi, or you can buy one yourself, without the guaranteed coverage.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@TrilobyteMKR wrote:

naturally I want all of music devices etc to be on the same network so I want to connect this dish 1 to the LAN to facilitate this.

Unless you have created separate subnets, all your devices will be on the same network regardless of their physical connectivity.

0 Ratings