cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Wireless coverage

Hi became a bt fiber customer yesterday. First he put the wiring in the front room where I didn't want it, so now the back of my bungalow has no internet. Rang bt this morning to be told I had to have 3 disks which cost me more. SO now if I have them it works out dearer than my old provider. I am so disappointed in this. Say full coverage but don't say only if you have these as well. Any ideas before  I cancel it. Any help greatly appreciated..

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wireless coverage

Hi, did you ask them to add the connection anywhere else?

When you say back do you mean inside the property or in the rear garden area?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Said modem could only go in front room closest point. Asked for in hall way got a no because of covid but already in house so made no sense.The rear bedroom has no internet can't connect to modem as signal to weak.
Message 4 of 16

Have a look at https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

for a suitable powerline extender. Price will be dependent on your speed and wifi band requirements.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

That’s not great  service as you said he was already in and I’m sure he was alone working. 
I would be on to BT and complain in a polite way about the service after all you asked for it in a different place and so I would push for some help towards coverage or arrange to have them back and do the job as you requested.
I know we all have to be careful but I’m sure he and you were following the guides laid out so it’s not particularly fair you now need to purchase equipment to get coverage. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Like you I got FTTP and was on the 300 Mbps Fiber plan. At first, I was lucky to get 50 Mbps and then it eventually went to over 110 Mbps. I wasn't overly pleased with it but I was willing to accept it and thought maybe it will improve over a period of time. I went on to a number of forums including this one and it was suggested that I look at getting the BT mesh system (3 discs).....I did that and wasn't that impressed. It improved slightly but nothing to write home about plus I was getting interference from some of the discs (I have a Four bedroom house over 2000 sq foot plus a conservatory) one of the front bedrooms was down to 50 Mbps. I had my internet checked by BT and they confirmed that I was getting 300 Mbps. So I removed the discs and the speed went up to 190 Mbps...certainly better than I was previously getting but still the front bedroom was much lesser than the other rooms in the house. Then I got the offer of the 900 Mbps at around £10 extra, so I immediately went for it expecting great things. BT sent me the latest Hub and a disc. But I was so disappointed that it went up very slightly. I again checked with BT and they confirmed that I was getting the 900 Mbps package. I discussed this matter with my son-in-law who is a Senior Software Engineer and he suggested getting a new router as he felt the problem lay with it. He said that the BT Hub's in general are not great, that they are mass-produced, and that you pay for what you get. He also suggested that I look at getting a WiFi 6 router that although I have no equipment that is Wifi 6 compatible it would be a way of future-proofing. I took this all on board and found the TP-Link Archer AX1800 WiFi 6 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Cable Router. I purchased it and set it up (extremely easy to set up with its own Tether App) and I immediately am getting 700+ Mbps and this is almost constant....unbelievable I hear you say well here is the proof with the two-speed tests one taken with the BT Hub router and the other with the TP-Link and no discs. My suggestion is to get a new router and see your speed fly

Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 21.11.39.pngScreenshot 2021-08-26 at 21.12.21.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Why would I buy something when the said it was guaranteed to be in all rooms best modem out there. Well my old talk talk one was way better. Well got some cat 5 cable as checked the cable that was connected by them the red ended one. Ran new cable to where I wanted it and bingo 150 in all rooms. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

when you say "They said it was Guaranteed" do you mean BT said it was guaranteed"....are you sure they definitely said that? because they never ever guaranteed me anything other than 900mbps would come into the house (which it did) but BT never could give a complete guarantee that you would get that throughout the rest of the house because first they don't know how your house is constructed (block and brick or stone walls or timber). So you have to be careful in what they actually said and what they promised you. What I mean by that is they promised me that I would get 900mbps to the house and when I checked my BT Hub I was getting that but for the rest of the house I was getting barely getting 100mbps it wasn't till I changed to a WiFi 6 TP Link router did I get 700mbps....so maybe you will have to spend a bit more money to get the figures you were hoping for
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I believe they mean coverage ie.wifi

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Stu so they are guaranteeing wifi speed? They never guaranteed me that all they promised was the 900 Mbps to the house. And as I have said I checked that and it is coming at that promised speed but there is no way BT's Hub was able to push that out (even with ethernet cable)
0 Ratings