cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Wireless coverage

I think BT are guaranteeing wireless  coverage if you have the discs but that is not guaranteeing speed     no ISP guarantees wireless connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Yes, if you have the discs. I bought those and in my situation they were downright useless. In fact they caused me interference. I thought (wrongly) that they would improve the speed and they didn't and don't....they probably improve coverage but as I thought they would improve the wifi speed. The problem lay with the BT Home Hub and now after getting the TP Link WiFi 6 router I am getting the speed and the coverage I need (without the need for discs. So you do need to spend a bit of money in improving the router to get the speed and the coverage
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

I think you should be able to achieve better results than that, it should be into the 900 mark when wired. As you don’t have any WiFi 6 devices it’s defaulting to 866 on AC 5Ghz and since the device you use will no doubt be 2x2 so you will get in the region of 40 to 60% of that when you are at optimum distance. 
the fun part is while an all in one unit offers coverage the client must also talk back and often clients don’t have the range so as you push to the limits retransmissions occur. That may not be a huge concern but range is one thing but quality of service is another. At that point it’s hogging airtime and slowing down the network. 

The BT routers might not offer throughput to match others, yours for example does not offer it compared to others and all routers are massed produced and many are built by the same manufacturer to different specs. While I’m not a user of a BT router it does offer the needs for most  and to be honest when you start hitting a gig you might as well try to achieve that but if no devices support that and the router is not able to handle a gig sometimes it’s best to step back and think of what your needs are ie what benefits are there for me. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Only on the 150 internet and now I have ran my own cat 5 cable and put the modem in the hallway where I wanted it which is the centre of my bungalow I'm getting the 150 everywhere. SO a simple job of running my own cable to the right place solved the problem. Why the engineer couldn't do that when he was already in my house is a joke. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Because running Cat 5 cable is not the responsibility of the installer, internal wiring is your responsibility. The installer only provides a patch cable to connect the ONT to a co-located hub.

Message 16 of 16

@Lordsnooty No speed is not coverage, You might have been better looking into routers before going with that one. My RAX120 had a 940mbps throughput and that’s an AX router but the leader so far for a single point router is an Asus AX86U that’s performing really well. You have what is classed as an entry level WiFi 6 router.  That’s why it’s throughput is so low and it’s an inexpensive router.
The BT routers get you online, that’s it. For most it’s fine in fact performance wise it’s on par with yours as you probably don’t run a server at home and just use the internet for day to day stuff. 
The draw back you have is it’s AC performance and it’s lack of streams as you upgrade to wifi6 devices that use mu mimo and OFDMA. That’s down to price point as you need to step up to see gains and that’s if you have a busy network.
WiFi 6 is not just about throughput, it’s about range, client numbers and it’s ability to help in congested environments however you need to look at the chipset inside to see what draft it is and then see if the functions are implemented. 
In your case you could save a £10 and still have the same network performance with the tp router. 
your devices will not open or play streams any faster with the extra throughput and downloads are often restricted ie consoles, steam and so on. 
as for future proofing, your router uses the Broadcom BCM6755 ARM-A7 quad-core @ 1.5 GHz which unfortunately does not support WPA3 and so you lose some WiFi 6 functions that must be used in conjunction with WPA3. It’s fine saying future proofing but in the router world that never really is the case. 

0 Ratings