cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: Wireless disconnecting and refusing to connect some devices after a few days

Go to solution

It could be a problem with the home hub wireless module, so if you are still in a contract, you could ask BT to send a replacement.

The other alternative would be to use your own third party router. Prices start at about £35 for a single band device.

Some people do seem to have issues with wireless on the home hubs for reasons unknown.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/m-p/1887178...

Moderator-Retired
Message 12 of 23

Re: Wireless disconnecting and refusing to connect some devices after a few days

Go to solution

Hi @Chris-T25,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.

Sorry that you are having problems with devices staying connected to your BT Hub.

As @Keith_Beddoe has suggested if you are in a contract it might be worth us sending you out a new hub.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team.

Thanks

Matt

Moderator-Retired
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @Chris-T25,

Thanks for taking the time to send in your account information.

I have arranged for a new hub to be sent out to you, this should be with you on 25/02/2020.

Can you test the hub for about a week and let me know if the new hub works better?

Thanks

Matt

Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

Great, thanks. Hope the new hub sorts the problem 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution
The router arrived yesterday which I set up straight the way. Unfortunately after getting home from work my phone didn't connect to WiFi as well as a handful of other devices. Restarting the router as usual fixed the issue.

It doesn't look like it's at least router hardware related issue. Not sure what else it could be. The WiFi name I use is not the default one and has a dash in it but I've been with BT for over a year without any problems and have only renewed my contract in December 2019 for 2 years so unsure how the problem has started.

I've got numerous IoT devices, powerline adaptors, a small switch, NAS. Only the WiFi devices have issues at some point and not all at the same time.

Thank you for all the help so far. Any other ideas what I could try?

What do I do with my extra router?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution

I assume the first thing you did with new hub was to turn off smart setup

have you tried taking the dash out of SSID to see if that makes any difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution
Hi, yes I turned off smart setup as well as set the WiFi name and password to something else.

I've not tried changing the WiFi name without the dash yet as it has worked with it for over a year. Bit of a pain to reconfigure all my WiFi devices but I will give it a go to be sure.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution

Hi @Chris-T25,

Have you been able to get this fixed, if so can you let us know what the fix was?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

Hi, I still haven't had time to change the wifi name to something without a dash. Hopefully I'll be able to try this weekend. 

The disconnections for the devices seem to be random.  After a router restart it can be OK for between 12 hours to 3 days. 

Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution
Changing the WiFi name hasn't fixed the problem.

Does anyone know the cheapest alternative modem router I can buy to replace the BT router?

0 Ratings