cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
adey511
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Wireless problems....

Hi, I switched from SKY at the end of November to upgrade to fibre with BT and have had an absolute nightmare, I think the records will show I have spent over 4 hours on helpline with various advisors and also about 30plus text messages with 2 of the advisors texting. After receiving a second hub6 the connection speed seems reasonable at 35download, phew. BUT I still have the ongoing problem of the wireless connection dropping off... If you walk about 7 paces from the hub, we connect with iPhones, iPad,laptop PCs and wireless sky box and they all fail at about 6 metres... Now in the last few weeks I have learned how to.. Split ssid's, change channels, turn "smart" on and off and also check which channels all the neighbours use, all to no help. I have also been lied to on 2 occasions by advisors which is now on record. I am presently awaiting my 3rd hub which will now be after Christmas... I should also add my older SKY hub had wifi all over the house and I could stream live sport at the end of the garden!!... Any ideas to try before I receive my next super duper Smart hub would be greatfully accepted...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wireless problems....

Welcome to this user forum.

There are loads of threads on this board relating to the poor performance of the smart hub, many advise using a different router.

The BT wifi hotspot addons can sometimes help, but a different router is a better solution.

The smart hub is severely restricted as it can only use one of three wireless channels instead of one of 13. In a built up area, those three channels are going to be congested.

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

@adey511 wrote:

Hi, I switched from SKY at the end of November to upgrade to fibre with BT and have had an absolute nightmare, I think the records will show I have spent over 4 hours on helpline with various advisors and also about 30plus text messages with 2 of the advisors texting. After receiving a second hub6 the connection speed seems reasonable at 35download, phew. BUT I still have the ongoing problem of the wireless connection dropping off... If you walk about 7 paces from the hub, we connect with iPhones, iPad,laptop PCs and wireless sky box and they all fail at about 6 metres... Now in the last few weeks I have learned how to.. Split ssid's, change channels, turn "smart" on and off and also check which channels all the neighbours use, all to no help. I have also been lied to on 2 occasions by advisors which is now on record. I am presently awaiting my 3rd hub which will now be after Christmas... I should also add my older SKY hub had wifi all over the house and I could stream live sport at the end of the garden!!... Any ideas to try before I receive my next super duper Smart hub would be greatfully accepted...

Hi,

Have you tried configuring your sky box manually to see if it stays connected. Have had problems with mine staying connected to hub6 would manual settings have sorted it out.

Go to network settings in sky box and click manually configure. You will see a list of info to put in. If you can remember the IP address the box had before or if you can find it in the BT smart hub management web page the enter it in. Otherwise choose a new IP address which isn't the same as any of your other devices - 192.168.1.? (I put 69 in as the last number as that is what it was before but the usual advice is to put in a last number that is under 63 so that it never conflicts with any IP addresses being dished out by the hub). Then subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 Then router 192.168.1.254. Then DNS. 192.168.1.254 Then click save. Worked for me but will keep an eye on it if the router resets again sometime. Let me know how you get on. I found this fix on sky forums so must be a common sky box problem.

I've done the same with some iOS devices, keeping last number of the IP address under 63 but each device a separate number. You will get disconnections if devices are given the same IP address.

I haven't allowed my apple devices to update to the latest iOS 10 because I worry about problems with Hub6 losing connection. Wifi and routers used to be a total mystery to me. Not any more! On my second hub 6 which I've had since early sept and not perfect but so far managing to find ways around its problems in the hope things improve. The range is better than hub5 and can now get wifi in all rooms, even past a solid wall.

0 Ratings
adey511
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi... Thanks for that.

i have actually moved the hub now so it can be connected to my sky box and tv by Ethernet so that is cured... But my iPhone says it is connected but it isn't ...?? But weirdly my iPad works fine when close to the hub 😩

0 Ratings
adey511
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Yes ... I am reading through them all 😱
0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

@adey511 wrote:

Hi... Thanks for that.

i have actually moved the hub now so it can be connected to my sky box and tv by Ethernet so that is cured... But my iPhone says it is connected but it isn't ...?? But weirdly my iPad works fine when close to the hub 😩

Our hub6 had the new 2244 firmware update last night which seems to have solved the wireless connection problem to the Sky Box for the moment. Hopefully the new update will correct some of the other connection problems people are having. Did have similar iPad and iPhone problems to yours and put it down to a wifi extender I was using which I've now got rid of.

0 Ratings