cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Wireless works for phone and iPad but not for Linux and Windows laptops

My sister is having problems with her wireless on her BT Home Hub 5 which I am trying to troubleshoot but as I'm 300 miles away there is a limit to what I can talk her through. However, I am completely stumped by the problem she has which only reared its ugly head a few months ago.

Her wireless set-up is as follows:

2.4 GHz wireless - phone and Windows laptop
5 GHz wireless - iPad and Linux laptop

These were all connecting to the internet fine until a few weeks ago but now both the laptops show as connected to the internet but when trying to access various web pages she gets various error messages such as 'There is a problem with the websites security certificate' or trying to download something it says 'no data'

HOWEVER, both the phone and the iPad work perfectly.

As the problem is on both a Windows and Linux laptop then I can only think that the problem is with the Hub but then why is she not having problems with the phone and iPad?

I have plugged both laptops into the Hub via Ethernet and they work fine.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can try so any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wireless works for phone and iPad but not for Linux and Windows laptops

Message 3 of 5

Could just be general HH5 WiFi crappyness.  The WiFi on these is buggy - mine was routinely disconnecting 5Ghz devices and refusing new 5Ghz connections, then failing with 2.4Ghz devices too within a day or two, necessitating a reboot to get WiFi working properly.

Typically, the WiFi would be stable for up to a week or so, before it would start playing up again and a hub reboot was necessary.

It's a known problem and was never fixed.  I found a good solution was to get the BT Whole Home Mini system (currently around 75 quid for the 3 disc pack) and use it for WiFi, disabling the built-in WiFi on the HH5.  This has worked very well for me - no disconnects or dropouts and as a bonus, rock solid WiFi coverage everywhere in the house and out into the front/back gardens.

I think I'll put out that advice as a general tip, actually, lots of people are suffering HH5 problems.

Message 4 of 5

Rather reluctantly I tried that but no luck there
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

But wouldn't that affect the phone and iPad which are using the same Wi-Fi but working perfectly?
0 Ratings