cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Wires in Master socket connected to A and B terminals?

Hi, 

just had a look inside my master socket and I can see a wire is connected from terminal A to terminal 2 and terminal B to terminal 5 but has this been done? 

should I remove these 2 wires to get a faster speed?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Wires in Master socket connected to A and B terminals?

Normally would not expect wires connecting the incoming openreach cable cone Ted to terminals A&B to have wires then going to terminals 2&5

Which master do you haveKeith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

1. I’ve seen on google some people have a wire going from terminal 3 to A or B which is strange
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Terminal 3 is the connection for the bellwire and no longer required. If can cause inference problems with broadband and if connected should be removed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

What about the 2 wires going from A and B to 2 and 5?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

All the sockets pictured, with the exception of No.4 are designed so that the A and B wires from the external network are connected to terminals 2 and 5 of the removable ’ consumer panel ‘ , only when the socket is assembled, ( a plug and socket arrangement connects A and B to 2 and 5 ) , it’s not actually polarity conscious so A to 5 and B to 2 works also ..the idea is that by removing the consumer panel anything ‘internal’ is disconnected from the line , so when being tested a ‘clean’ line is presented to the test equipment ….if you have socket No.4 , these don’t have the same demarcation point.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

so in that case, why would an engineer have wires connecting from A to 2 and B to 5? Could this maybe affect noise on my line and affect broadband? 

What other wiring situations in the master socket could cause issues like packet loss and noise for example?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

No idea why it is wired like that unless the master socket is faulty.  Try removing the wires and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

You still haven’t indicated the type of master socket you have , only No.4 should have A and B connected directly to 2 and 5, all the others the A and B connect is to the part of the socket that remains in the wall , and only extension sockets are connected to 2 and 5 of the consumer panel, if no extensions , you can either use the test port socket or insert the consumer panel and use the socket in that, if someone has connected A and B to 2 and 5 of the panel , it bypasses the plug and socket , so the panel would remain live even when disconnected from the body of the socket , making the demarcation point  redundant , I’ve no idea why someone would do this unless the socket panel was faulty , otherwise when assembled the plug and socket would be making the panel ‘live’ anyway.

If it’s No.4 , then it could be you don’t actually have a master socket as such  ( it’s an extension socket being used instead of a master socket ) or it’s a pre NTE5 type LJU socket….obviously if this is the only socket , then the A and B need to be connected to the part of the socket that a RJ11 phone plug would connect with…perhaps you could post a photo as how can wires on A and B ( marked as such presumably ) also be  connected to 2 and 5 if not via a plug and socket arrangement .

If what you mean is that you do have a proper master socket ( any of the images apart from No.4 ) and that has the line from outside on A and B ( of the permanent portion that stays on the wall ) , and there is a cable on the removable consumer panel on 2 and 5 that runs to an extension ( or extensions ) that you do not use , so is it ‘safe’ to disconnect the extension cable from the consumer panel , then yes you can , if you don’t want extensions the consumer panel should not have any wiring on it at all.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

@iniltous 

I think message 3 shows '1'

0 Ratings