cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dkg1958
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Wiring an ethernet wall socket for BT Broadband connection from hub to Vision+ Box

I have fitted a double RJ45 socket on either side of the room. (One for HUB to vision box adn one for TV internet) I want to use patch cables to plug one end to vision box and other to Hub5.  I used the 2 pair (orange/orange &white and blue/ Blue&white) long ethernet cables supplied by BT. I used the BT cable instead of cat 5 because it had a low profile to fit under flooring and I had 2 long cables spare.  I've cut RJ45s off and have tried to connect using the colour coding diagrams on back of each socket with no luck. (on A or B scheme)   I am using a propper tool.    Where do I put the four wires on the socket?  Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wiring an ethernet wall socket for BT Broadband connection from hub to Vision+ Box

You would of been better running two cables . So two lots of 8wire as this gives better service then plugging into modem
0 Ratings
dkg1958
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: Wiring an ethernet wall socket for BT Broadband connection from hub to Vision+ Box

Thanks - I have run wo cables but each only has 2 pairs in.  Looking at the rj45 that was connected on either end only 4 pins are used on the long cable BT supply with the hub.  So I intend to use one socket for BT vision box and the other for smart TV.... I dont know which connections to use on the socket though.

The plug at each end of the BT ethernet lead is wired Pin 1 OW pin 2 O pin 3 BW and pin 6 B.

0 Ratings
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

How to wire Ethernet Cables also known as UTP CAT5 patch cables.png

0 Ratings
dkg1958
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks but dont see how this helps.i need to wire the BT ethernet cable ninto a jack socket not a RJ45 plug and these diagrams do not match how the cables were wired.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Electrons aren't particularly fussy about the colour of the wires. You need to connect the same pins together at each end. Use one pair for pins 1&2 and the other for pins 3&6. However, if you require GbE speeds, you will need to connect all 8 pins at each end, i.e you will need 2x 4pair cables for your 2 circuits.

0 Ratings
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Mate the picture is left to right pins 1 to 8
0 Ratings