cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Wiring - or not - for broadband

Hello, could you please help!

With the new BT Smart Hub 2, I will have to re-wire the connection between the socket and the router / hub, and getting stuck at how best to do it.

The socket is downstairs, in the dining room; quite happy to have it there because that's where the phone is

The router is currently in the study, because that's where the main PC is - and that's where I'm likely to place the new Smart Hub

Currently, there's a telephone line between the socket and the router that goes around the skirting boards of rooms, stairs, and more rooms. I tried to stick it under the carpet edge where I could, but it inevitably gets pulled out here and there. The new wiring would need to be the RJ-11 cable which is slightly larger, so doing the same is less than ideal.

To complicate things, I rent the house so can't really drill holes in the walls and ceilings.

I also try to minimise Wi-Fi use, at least wiring up the PC.

So I have been thinking about options:
- put the RJ-11 cable the same way
- use powerline adaptors of some shape; I think there are separate circuit breakers for upstairs and downstairs circuits which make it less than ideal, not to mention that I'm not even sure if I can run the "before-the-router" signal via the mains cable.

Are there any other ways of approaching this?

Many thanks!!!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Wiring - or not - for broadband

Leave the smart hub in the dining room and then use a broadband extender connected to one of the Ethernet ports, to extend the Ethernet connection to the PC.

They will work provided you only have one mains consumer unit, they are not affected by contact breakers.

https://shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

You cannot extend the connection before the home hub, without rewiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: Wiring - or not - for broadband

That's a great idea, thank you! will look into it.
0 Ratings