cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JER45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Would a wireless bridge work with the Home Hub 5?

Hi there. I am wondering if I might avail myself of the community's advice and wisdom. I'm due to have Infinity 2 installed in a week or two, but I have a few concerns about how to get things working properly. Mainly I am wondering how on earth to connect my PC to it, when they won't be on the same floor in the house. The worrying over this almost has me rethinking the wisdom of changing from my old ISP of twelve years.

The Home Hub 5 will be installed downstairs at the master socket (or whatever that thing is called), but the family PC (currently wired to a Netgear DGT2200 'N' modem/router) is upstairs. I can't run wires all over the house (so sayeth the wife) so I am a bit stuck thinking of a solution that is workable. My neighbour had his Master Socket moved (I think) to solve a similar issue, but I'd prefer not to (if the engineers would even offer that) as access to the socket for the study is really restricted by several very full and rather rickety bookshelves.

I was thinking of using a wireless 802.11ac bridge, like the Linksys WUMC710, so I can connect a PC, Xbox360, SkyHD box and Blu player to the network whilst not having to use 4 separate adapters. However that bridge is single band only, (frankly I can't find a dual band AC bridge). Would the 5ghz signal from the Home Hub 5 be strong enough upstairs, bearing in mind it has to go up one floor and through one (admittedly paper thin) wall (the study is nearly directly above where the hub would be positioned)? It would rather defeat the object of switching to FTTC if the only room with a decent connection is the one where I only use ipads, another SkyHD box and very occasionally a laptop. The PC is arguably the one device that I want/need a good connection for work/play.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Would a wireless bridge work with the Home Hub 5?

Any form of wireless bridging solution is likely to give trouble, and prove very unreliable.

There are some options on the BT Shop.

BT Connected Home

The broadband extenders and the add on wireless hotspot should do the job.

If you need more Ethernet ports upstairs, then you can always add a cheap network switch.

0 Ratings
JER45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Why would using a bridge like the aforementioned Linksys one or the Buffalo Airstation 1300 (which is dual band and for that matter sold by BT) be less effective than wifi extender? I merely need a way to link up devices that don't have built in wifi capabilities. Using an extender wouldn't entirely solve that problem (I'd still need to buy 4 adapters) and as I understand it, it could cut the throughput of the signal by as much as 50% (unless the extender is dual band?).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Extenders use the mains wiring, and are no affected by other wireless networks.

You would only need one pair, as you can simply add an Ethernet swittch to the far end, to connect things up to.

Here is an example of some different powerline extenders.

powerline3.jpg

JER45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Ah I see, so powerline is a better option for me. Two last questions if I may ask them:

1. I see different versions of homeplugs with everything from 200mbps to 1000mbps (which are obviously unrealistic). Is it always better then to go for those with the higher number or just in my case because I use the devices I plan to connect to it for gaming and streaming HD content?

2. Some of the homeplugs I've seen also extend wifi signals. Are these versions actually worthwhile? For my purposes I suspect not (I don't tend to use my wireless devices for watching movies etc), but I suspect my brother living in a 3 story house might be interested to know whether use of powerline wifi extenders would help get a usable signal to his upper story.

Many thanks for the help.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

That is why I suggested looking on the BT Shop, as these devices have been field trialled.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812/c/345,353

These are 500Mb devices, so they, should work fine.

You just need one set, which consists of the two end of the circuit, look at the online video.

There are other options on the site, which have wifi built in as well.

JER45
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I'd hoped I was done with wondering what to do on this, but more reading has confused me even further.

1. If I did ask the engineer (likely a contractor I gather) to have the master socket moved upstairs (and he agreed to do it), is it true that the current telephone extension sockets would not longer work unless rewired? Not a deal breaker as I only use one of them for the master unit for my cordless phones.

2. If the engineer either refused to move the Master Socket or I opted not to ask due to the extension socket issue, am I correct in thinking I can pay something like £130 for a BT Engineer to come out to specifically move the Master Socket and rewire the extension sockets? The difference in cost between that and buying good powerline extenders and a switch is not that much (especially if I'd lose less connection speed by doing that). Actually I think a friend of my father's is a BT engineer...I should probably be asking him this.

0 Ratings