cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Would like to see all traffic at packet level (wireshark/tcpdump level) and set up hosts.txt

Hi,

I've had BT broadband for a few years now, and am running the service through the usual home hub router.

What I would like to do is

i) Get a packet level view (or at least source/destination IP addresses) for all packets going out and back in from my WAN port, and some sort of way of blocking packets. Happy to use ipchains, I don't need/want a GUI.

ii) As a bonus, set up a centrally used hosts file to get some better control over DNS. No need to set up another DNS server, just use a method of filtering I'm relatively comfortable with.

Like others on this forum, first I thought about raspberry pi (buying additional adaptors) but am not sure this is the best option. People mention other routers (ubiquiti ?) but again Im not sure this is exactly what I am looking for. I also note that those things aren't particularly cheap once I add all the features I need (wireless access etc.).

I've gone through the home hub config and can't even see a way of setting up a monitoring port for one of the 4 connections.

Am I overthinking this ? Grateful if anyone can supply any working suggestions for viewing/filtering WAN traffic without a gui and setting up a centrally used hosts file.

thanks

L.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Would like to see all traffic at packet level (wireshark/tcpdump level) and set up hosts.txt

please note the second point (hosts file) is a bonus, if solutions offered just cover the viewing of packets that would be great. thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Re: Would like to see all traffic at packet level (wireshark/tcpdump level) and set up hosts.txt

The only way you are going to see the traffic on your WAN port with Wireshark is to use a managed Ethernet switch to mirror the port.

Message 4 of 4

Thanks

0 Ratings