cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Wrong IP address location

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can shed some light on this issue. 
The last 6 months or so I’ve witnessed my location jumping around the UK, I just thought that my IP changes so my location changes but after some digging that appears to be slightly true but has been stuck in Armagh in Northern Ireland for about 3 months now (I live in Luton, about 476 miles away) and BT say it’s an openreach problem so contact them. Am I wrong in thinking that BT rents the infrastructure from openreach and BT do all the routing? 
I started noticing when I game (which I like to do in my spare time) and most gaming providers when I do their independent tests, put my location as Armagh, NI. This creates delay and lag, because these providers will try and connect me with the Irish servers.

Is there anyway to remedy this? I.e things to ask BT, an engineer visit or do I have to just live with it? 
Apologies for the essay. Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wrong IP address location

IP Address to geolocation lookup isn't always that accurate and depends on details registered by providers for their CIDRs.

BT Consumer broadband dynamically leases the IP address to their consumer units. To obtain a new IP address you sometimes need to power down the router for about 15-30 mins

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for that, I’ll power it down and leave for a bit and see if that solves it. Yeah strange really, talking to EA and activision and when they checked for me, I was showing as being in NI and on that server but they could see I was previously on the London server about 5 months ago. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

My limited understanding is the geo-location is collected by a number of providers, so results might vary between them. See this site. My IPv4 city address is correctly identified as Colchester in one but Newcastle in the other. Similarly for IPv6, the same provider is correct but the other this time puts me in London.

Whether there's actually any merit in reporting these for correction I've no idea, given that BT addresses are dynamic & likely to change with the next reboot, power cut or simple line drop. Although I have noticed that my IPv6 address seems to remain constant even when the IPv4 changes.

I guess there's nothing to lose if a new address still puts you miles away from your actual location.

0 Ratings