Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Wrong side of village got fibre.

I live in a village that is served by two exchanges.  Recently found out that the other end of the village has had fibre installed.  The exchange that serves that end of the village deploys to around 1,200 residents and about 4 business's, which are made up of all the households the exchange is connected to.  Whereas this end of the village, would be a part of a make up of 3,500 households and over twenty business's that the other exchange deploys to.  What are the calculations that BT use to determine which exchange is upgraded.  As we have here south of Cambridge find that there have been many more exchanges upgraded to the north of Cambridge and that those exchanges that have been upgraded south of Cambridge have had less than 1,500 households served by the exchange.  So it can't be worked out on if BT is going to make the most profit.  We have been told that we could get fibre by the end of the year, but it also was stated that that is if BT goes ahead with the upgrade.  Just have to sit here and keep our fingers crossed and rub our lucky rabbits foot.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Wrong side of village got fibre.

You would have to ask Openreach as no one from BT Retail would be able to answer that sort of question as they are not involved if the fibre rollout
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Have you checked on the Connecting Cambridgeshire website for projected dates?  The predicted date for our village was accurate. http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/my-area/

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Dean there might be many considerations and its impossible to list them all. Is the rollout commercial BT or BDUK?

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

john46: says to ask Openreach.

It is impossible to contatct Openreach as they are not a public facing company and don't deal with the general public.

Yes I am well aware that it is Openreach that upgrade the exchanges and lay fibre to the new cabinets, but the roll out is decided by BT Group, as to where and when it will happen.

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

licquorice:  says check Connecting Cambridgshire webiste.

This I have been doing every month and it has stated that our village will have fibre by September 2015.

However it did not state that half the village would get it earlier than the other half.  Also when checking the date for cabinets going live, the date shown has passed with no update as to when that cabinet will be going live.  Some of the cabinets don't even have a date for going live.

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

jonkarra: asks is the rollout commercial BT or BDUK.

All I know is that is a rollout of fibre to both commercial and residential proprties.

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Furthere more, after checking Connecting Cambridgshire, the exchange that I connect through has been upgraded but not all cabinets have been installed and resident on this side of the village an't got fibre, as with a percentage of people that live in the same village as the exchange.  So this rollout must be done under the instruction do a bit here and a bit there, so that we can show that we are on the face of it rolling out fibre to all areas.

At least in their time Cambridge cable, when they rolled out fibre back in the day, they would do it street by street, with a large number of crews completing an area and not doing half a village then moving on and then maybe comming back on some unknown date.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

Any rollout of FTTC to an exchange will be looked at on a commercial basis even if BDUK are paying.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings