cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJT84
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Xbox one download slow. (FTTP 900)

We have FTTP 900Mbs broadband and my Xbox only gets 30-50Mbps download on updates. It’s hard wired to the router. Any suggestions. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Xbox one download slow. (FTTP 900)

I've just Googled this for you and ittit would appear that Microsoft cap the download speed at 50mbps...

0 Ratings
GPKINS1
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hello! I have 60mb  showing as my speed on my xbox. But downloading a game is only allowing me on average 8MB. Taking hours to download. Anything I can do?

0 Ratings
SJT84
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

I rebooted the router and got it to 400Mbps. Don’t think Microsoft throttle it. Will keep an eye on it. 

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@GPKINS1 don't confuse megabits with megabytes. You're probably connected at 60Mbps but downloading at 8MBps... There are 8 bits to a byte so you'll be downloading at the maximum speed if that's the case

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

@SJT84 I Googled it and there's lots of people from all over the world moaning about it...  I'd run a download and see what speed you actually get as there's a difference in sync speed and actual download speed

0 Ratings
mibazza
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I have just upgraded to FTTP 900 in the last week and I'm having the same problem.  Had the BT Smart Hub 1 and 300mbps FTTP and both our wired Xbox's would download at between 200-300mbps.  As soon as 900 came online Xbox downloads dropped to 30-50mbps max.  The FTTP900 came online before the Smarthub 2 arrived so I don't think it was a router issue, I then installed the Smarthub 2 router and the Xbox's are still the same at 30-50mbps download speed.  If I reboot the box it will sometimes reconnect the download at 200-300mbps but after a while it goes back down to 30-50mbps.  This would suggest to me that BT are throttling Xbox speeds on FTTP 900?  Although this is an old thread I thought I would just a more recent post with the same issue.

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

@mibazza BT don't throttle anything. If there's any kind of traffic management in place, it's more than likely at Microsoft's end so that they can run a balanced service for all subscribers... 

0 Ratings
mibazza
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

So why did it only start happening when I got FTTP 900 and it was fine on FTTP 300?

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

@mibazza I don't know but I Google'd this before and people are reporting a similar issue from all over the world so it's not a BT throttling issue

0 Ratings