Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: Xbox one download slow. (FTTP 900)

@mibazza https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/9qudsk/download_speed_cap/

Definite caps from Microsoft and if you're downloading a game, the Xbox will be installing while simultaneously downloading and unpacking so the processing and multiple actions of the hard drive will reduce your download speeds... 

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Contributor
Message 12 of 15

it's bit and bytes

Your Fibre 900Mbps has a max download speed of 112.5MB/s,  My Fibre 300Mbps has a max download speed of  37.5MB/s, don't be mislead how they write the figures. Its 8 bits to a byte and Mbps looks impressive and advertising fullfibre 112.5MB/s doesn't sell.

Microsoft are restricting bandwith on their servers to 50MB/s,  it has nothing to do with BT, also bear in mind the XBOX hard drive is 5400RPM which is approx 80MB/s so going faster is pointless as it can't write fast enough.

Speedtesters measure in Mbps as the figures look high and impressive, however you need to divide by 8 to get your true download MB/s

mibazza
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Haha sorry but your information is COMPLETELY wrong.  I DO understand the difference between Bytes and Bits but your theory is flawed, download speeds are quoted in bits per second not bytes.  I've done some research and its the BT smarthub 2 thats trash, BT have admitted it needs a firmware upgrade and it hasn't appeared yet.  I've ordered a new Edgerouter X and will update next week when its installed.  PS. the xboxes are Series X's so much faster than 5400RPM but even on my old Xbox ones they were more than capable of downloading at 200-300 Mbps.  

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Contributor
Message 14 of 15

@mibazzawrote:

Haha sorry but your information is COMPLETELY wrong.  I DO understand the difference between Bytes and Bits but your theory is flawed, download speeds are quoted in bits per second not bytes.  Which is exactly what i wrote, if you'd read it properly  (900Mbps = 112.5MB/s max speed) I've done some research and its the BT smarthub 2 thats trash, BT have admitted it needs a firmware upgrade and it hasn't appeared yet.  Yes the SH2 isn't suitable, that's why people buy alternative routers

I've ordered a new Edgerouter X and will update next week when its installed.  PS. the xboxes are Series X's so much faster than 5400RPM You never mentioned a series x with ssd.

but even on my old Xbox ones they were more than capable of downloading at 200-300 Mbps.

As said also, microsoft are restricting download speeds from their servers at the moment, and as you know, you can only download as fast as the other ends uploads.

Have you tried a pppoe connection direct to the ont to see what your upload speed to the router is?

0 Ratings
mibazza
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 15

Ok fair comments.  No haven't tried straight to fibre modem yet I'll try that tho if new router doesn't solve it.  Sky Q is also downloading much slower than it did on 300 speed, plus only getting 50-60 downloading a 50gb test file on laptop hard wired direct to router.  Laptop is Core i7 with SSD, pretty high spec and used to download much faster.  Something is definately going on with this new 900 speed connection since it came on last week.  

0 Ratings