cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MonaR
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

YouView box always taking up around 60Mb of bandwidth?

Go to solution
Hi - newbie here! We've been having problems with connectivity dropping out for a while and yesterday we had an engineer round. Luckily he found a fault and fixed it and we haven't had any VDSL drop-outs since, but he also said that the YouView box takes up about 50-60Mb of our bandwidth all the time, so in reality we've only got about 20Mb max to play with. That sounds a bit weird to me. Is that right? We've also had problems streaming TV, where the picture goes blurry and stutters and the sound also stutters. It's intermittent, but is really annoying. I was doing some searching on t'interweb and whilst I am a bit technical, I don't really understand all the intricacies of multicasting and IGMP snooping etc. I did wonder whether our network topology may be causing an issue though so would appreciate your thoughts on that. We have: - ethernet from the BT master socket to the Smart Hub v1 router; - ethernet from the router to the YouView box; - ethernet from the router to the first BT Whole Home disc; - ethernet from the router to the laptop we use for streaming; - ethernet from the router to a NetGear switch which we use for all our other wired connections. Is that a sensible set-up?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: YouView box always taking up around 60Mb of bandwidth?

Go to solution

Hi @MonaR 

I think if you have the 4k box and were recording the 4k sports channel and a HD channel, whilst streaming 4k from an app such as Prime on the box, then you would be using around 50 to 60 Mbs. If you aren't using the box at all though then it's essentially using nothing. Do a speedtest with the box off and not recording and you'll see what's available.

Is your TV connected via ethernet or wifi? I would try connecting the TV direct to the hub with an ethernet cable and see if that makes any difference. 

MonaR
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks Andy. We'll give that a whirl. We have tried putting the YouView box into standby mode and that didn't seem to make a difference. The engineer said it would use 50-60Mb even if it wasn't doing anything and I couldn't see why it would do that. We'll try different laptops as well in case our poor old Surface Pro 3 can't cope anymore.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@MonaRwrote:
Thanks Andy. We'll give that a whirl. We have tried putting the YouView box into standby mode and that didn't seem to make a difference. The engineer said it would use 50-60Mb even if it wasn't doing anything and I couldn't see why it would do that. We'll try different laptops as well in case our poor old Surface Pro 3 can't cope anymore.

That certainly isn't right about Youview using data at all!

Turn it off, and see what's happening then.

How do you know the box is using 60Mb? Is that from the engineer comment?

Are your devices on all the time, do they have a cloud backup routine?

0 Ratings
MonaR
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Hi Andy - yes, it was purely the comment from the BT engineer. We thought it sounded like bobbins!
We do have a lot of devices but are generally only using 3 or 4 at a time and not usually using the network if we're streaming. We don't have a cloud backup routine. I used to work in IT so I'm a bit paranoid about security. We have local NAS drives and back up to those, albeit not as often as we should!
I suspect it's the Surface Pro 3.
0 Ratings