cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tdub49
Message 1 of 5

YouView box wireless connection

Hello fellow sufferers.  Following various posts in this community and sick to the back teeth with resetting my router, YouView box and Powerline adaptors, I decided to try connecting box and router wirelessly.  I am now the proud owner of a tp-link TL-WR802N aka a 300Mbps wireless nano router.

With minimum hassle I have linked YouView and router wirelessly and it all nearly works.  By nearly I mean that all 'normal' TV channels work plus Netflix, iPlayer and other streamed content except anything that is part of my BT package.  In short, no sport, no Nat Geo etc, just an error message and a blank screen.

An hour spent "chatting" on line running all the checks I had already run ended with a promise to escalate the problem to the "dedicated team" who I am guessing will not be able to resolve it because I have committed the grave sin of daring to use some non BT hardware.  

So, I know others in the communtiy have managed the wireless connection trick and wonder if anyone has has the same problem with the BT content and/or has any idea of how to resolve it?

Thanking you in sportless anticipation.

Tdub49

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: YouView box wireless connection

Welcome to this user forum.

You will find that the multicast stream needed for the BT content, cannot be carried over wireless, which is why the extra channels do not work.

If you use the recommended BT Mini Connectors to link the hub and the YouView box, you should have no problems.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Just thought I'd clarify @Keith_Beddoe's reply.

The BT HomeHub won't transmit multicast over wireless but others do. My Asus DSL-AC68U will happily do it & with a suitable wifi extender to serve the Youview box you can happily watch BT Sport etc that way.

0 Ratings
Tdub49
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the reply.  If I understand you correctly, there is something in the way that the BT subscription channels are streamed that is different to Netflix or other streamed services and the HomeHub is not able to "process" BT subscription content?  As you might understand, I am not a technician but it does seem a bit weird to me that BT's streaming is so different.

Another reply suggests replacing the HomeHub with a router that will cope with the BT stuff.  Is that an option - the BT solution of "mini links" has never worked well in my house, perhaps because the wiring is quite old and recently the mini link option has become virtually unusable, hence the wireless set up that I am trying?

0 Ratings
Tdub49
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for that - seems like I might have to follow that route once I have had a chat with BT's "dedicated team" who are apparently going to contact me to try to resolve this.
0 Ratings