Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wren
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

a thought on the possilbe cause of faulty hubs

Go to solution

When I changed from hub 3 to hub 4 (then hub 5) I noticed that the design had changed: rather than the enclosed hub, 4 and 5 have a row of vents running along the top. 

So what I'm wondering is - does the new vent placement create the faults; including the intermittent faults; due to dust getting into the inner workings? 

Dust has no obstacle to falling straight down into the hub; no matter how much cleaning goes on; and it's not safe to cover the vents to try to protect it. 

Would we be better with a hub which is sealed along the top? 

Also the thinnner shape coupled with the tiny legs may cause it to fall over more easily; could we have a small squarish design with a rounded dome sealed top? (shaped a bit like an owl?) 

Ok I like owls, grin, but you catch my drift yes 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: a thought on the possilbe cause of faulty hubs

Go to solution
A re design is not going to happen now as they are now older models now replaced by the hub 6
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
I suspect that any vents on the hub is for heat dissipation. Very much doubt if dust getting into the hub would cause an issue ( unless the dust is full of metal filings)
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Wow, you should be working for the Chief Engineers Office with on a six figure salary.
0 Ratings
Foxcliffe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Unfortunately design engineers do not live in the real world once they close that office door behind them Cat LOL

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Well it can cause problems with ventilation and then equipment overheats unlikely to be a problem with the hubs though as they die in weeks/months sometimes.
0 Ratings
Travelusa
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I have mine in the Garage

It,s always cold in there

Wifi spot on

no overheating

0 Ratings