cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doomstar
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

accessing nas drive

I have a DS216 which I have working on my home network (wired).

I have various shared folders one of which I wish to allow others to set up as a mapped drive on thier windows PC's (for a work database).

I use a BT hub 3b for internat access, fixed IP address.

I understand the principles of port forwarding and know where to set it up in the BT hub, but I am lost as how to continue furthur.

Please help

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: accessing nas drive

First of all, if you are a residential customer you don't have a fixed IP address. Not sure what you mean by how to continue further if you are happy with how to implement port forwarding. Because your public IP address is dynamic, you will need to create an account with a Dynamic DNS service such as Noip.

0 Ratings
Doomstar
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I now have the noip thingy set up to keep my ip address updated, what now please kind person.

0 Ratings
Interstella
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

With a Synology NAS, this should be dead easy.  Go to Control Panel...External Access...click "add" on the DDNS tab and set up a DDNS account using "yourNASname".  You can then access the NAS at yourNASname.synology.me and that should be all you need to do.  Synology's DDNS does seem to die occasionally so it's worth setting QuickConnect up as a backup.  You will need to forward ports 5000 and 5001 (I think...I use a Synology router so it takes care of this stuff for me).