cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick1968
Message 1 of 15

agonisingly slow broadband

We have a large house and 2 phone lines into it, both of which have a HomeHub 4 on them. Despite being less than 100 yards from a major international airport- our internet speeds are at best woeful, BT rates them at being between 3 and 7 MBS... the fastest download speeds I've ever had were 700KPS, far more frequently they're between 200 and 300KPS. It really rankles bigtime to think that for the same money (or half as most homes only have the one broadband line) that other people are enjoying speeds into the hundreds of MBS. 

My question is what to do about this lamentable state of affairs. Is it possible to upgrade the routers or do we need to think along the lines of fibre? Anything is better than suffering as we have been for more than 10 years with this ridiculously slow and often erratic broadband. Any and all help gratefully received and considered.

14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: agonisingly slow broadband

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. Post a screen shot after you have removed your phone number.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Nick1968
Message 3 of 15

unfortunately that is an invalid web address and results in 'can't reach this page'.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

That link works fine - try again please

are you a BT broadband and phone customer?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nick1968
Message 5 of 15

Thankyou for attempting to help. Yes, we are BT phone and Broadband customers. I've already said link doesn't work for me and flags up an error message and the same is still true, please don't tell me that it's fine- because for me it's useless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Then can you try another browser and see if that works as link is fine so problem must be at your end  what device and browser are you using?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome  See if that works for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nick1968
Message 7 of 15

ok, apologies. The link, for me, is broken- but copying and posting the address in the web browser was successful- here's the screenshot.Screenshot (1) - Copy.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Thanks

can you post stats from your hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk 

check for line noise dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

are you still on adsl and if so have you considered moving to fibre - superfast broadband 

0 Ratings
Nick1968
Message 9 of 15

Thanks for the reply. Alas I understood very little of it as I am not tech savvy at all. But to answer one question- no there's no interference on the line, this is checked regularly. By ADSL I take it you mean conventional copper wire telephone lines, yes- that's us. Would love fibre, I have no idea how to go about it, costs or even if it's possible- BT seems to treat this road as if it were still stuck in the early 20th century when it comes to phone and internet services. As I said in the opening piece, we're on HH4 (if HH stands for HomeHub as I assume it does)- and how to get stats off it; I've less than no idea I'm afraid.

Sorry I can't help further but I really don't have the knowledge to answer your questions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

You can order Fibre broadband.

The speed you can expect is in the VDSL range A shown in the estimate that you posted, which is between 12 Mpbs and 19Mbps.

If you look at this link it will let you see what is available.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals/

I would suggest that the package most suitable for you given the maximum speed you could get on your line would be the first one, Superfast Fibre Essential. 

0 Ratings