cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

bad broadband connection

Hi, I'm having trouble with my broadband connection when it comes to online gaming. Every game i play is constantly laggy(wireless and wired), I'm disconnecting from other players I'm playing with and my connection sometimes times out when connecting to game servers, so yeah, this is a severe issue. Whenever I do speed tests I'm frequently seeing my download speed slowing down and this is often accompanied by my ping constantly spiking and a high jitter rating which is frequently above 100 and 200ms which is bad. I had an engineer visit on Monday and he couldn't find a problem. I'm at my wits end and this forum is probably my last resort. I've suffered with this since the summer now and I won't accept it anymore, if BT can't fix my this problem, I'm just gonna have to switch to someone else in the new year. Also, this problem occurs when I'm the only one using my connection so it's not a bandwidth congestion problem and its not my super hub either as I've also tried other ones. Anyone have any solutions? Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: bad broadband connection

Hi,

Is this problem with one specific game or multiple games? 

I would try contacting the game support and asking for the IP address of the server you are playing on. From there use a tool called PingPlotter to diagnose where the connection is failing - If it is the server itself responding poorly or somewhere along the route where it is bad. 

The symptoms you're having seem to be very similar to mine which is very high packet loss. 

I am having the same issue at the moment as you referenced. My connection seems to be failing at 31.55.186.181 or 31.55.186.177 - With 80%~ packet loss. 

I haven't been able to get a chance to call BT yet but will update you if you're having the same issue 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

yes, its happening on all games. I tried a while ago contacting 2k support as i like playing nba online and they told me to provide them with some tests that included a ping plotter. After showing them they told me packet loss was occuring on my connection to their servers. Funny thing is though, I get no packet loss when doing tests on speedtest. I have since mentioned this to BT and I've had 2 engineer visits since and the problem is still occurring. It's incredibly frustrating because I like playing online but my connection is ruining it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi Chris, Just to add to my reply. I'm currently monitoring my connection on pingplotter to a game server and I'm getting 91-93% packet loss on hop 3 31.55.186.181. So yes, we do indeed have the same problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi,

From the information you provided it seems like we both have the same issue.

Not all the time will your internet be affected as it is only on certain routes. Much like if a road was blocked - You could technically go around it. 

However as it's not all the time you are using the same road, speedtest might not be using the route thus making it undetectable for them. 

I haven't spoken to Support yet so not sure what they will say however the two IP addresses i seem to have a problem with seem to be in London so it would mean an engineer would have to either decommission the servers there or find a work around of some sorts until then. 

Hopefully this will be fixed soon as it has been a going for quite some time now. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hop 3 is BT network I believe. I been looking on this forum and there's a few people complaining about their jitter and ping spiking above 100ms. So yeah, it seems to be a problem in the BT network. well, it's definitely not a problem with my line as an engineer checked it on Monday. I'll probably try contacting BT one final time after the new year and if they can't come up with a solution, I'll just end up trying a different provider. Let me know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi Joseph,

This seems to be what I've been finding as well.

Fingers crossed they will fix it as it's nothing on our end. The IP address is registered to BT. Not too sure if it's BT or OpenReach however it will be on of the two.

Will let you know how I get on. Will be calling them on Saturday. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

did you get any luck? am having the exact same problem. 

0 Ratings