Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue7
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

broadband usage allowance

Go to solution

Is my 10Gb braodband usage allowance applied to my broadband usage as a whole or only applied to my broadband usage on my home line  so that if I connect my laptop to a Wi-fi hotspot or other such place the usage does not count on my broadband usage allowance?  I ask because from time to time I need to update laptop operating system and other apps and find that, especially for operating system update, my limit would be exceeded for the month.  Most of the year my monthly limit is nowhere near reached.  I can easily go to my Daughters home and connect my laptop to her Wi-fi (hotspot?).

Another factor is that because I am on a rural conection the speed is below 2Mb/s so I have to leave the download running overnight for several hours to download about 6Gb.....that would be ok left at daughters.  OR if I can get to a faster Wi-fi or other similar connection (FON?) connection I could download in a much shorter time.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: broadband usage allowance

Go to solution

Its only your home usage that counts, excluding BT Wifi usage.

You could connect you your own BT Wifi SSID, and that would not count.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

the usage linit is on your home network connection.

it does not count towards the usage using wfif hotspots or even your own btwifi from the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
blue7
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
thanks
0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

My usage has suddenly shot up to 20GB for no reason.  for some time we were on 10gb limit.  Our usage seemed to go up so I used the Double your Data thing and got 20GB.  Since I got it, my usage has gone from just over 10 right up to the 20gb.  Our usage has now changed.  We surf the web, we do not stream music or movies.  We do not play games.  The internet is mostly for surfing the web, sending emails etc.  My husband occasionally watches a half hour presentation about stocks.  He does not udse the internet at all at the weekend.

I am becoming convinced that someone is using BT fon and this is counting towards our usage allowance.  Yesterday I checked the hub under advanced settings.  I noticed there was a user called Elzabeth's phone.  Now we do have a neighbour called Elizabeth, but she has never been in our house, nor been given access to our wifi.

Today I have changed the wifi password to see what happens, but I have to believe that the BT fon usage is counting towards our allowance.

0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
Sorry, the sentence is first para should read, our usage has NOT changed.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

have you upgraded to windows 10?  check your windows update history and see if there are any failed windows 10 update attempts as this can cost 3gb each time

there are numerous posts on forum about this

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Wow, yes I am on Windows 10 and in fact the usage has gone up since we upgraded.  I will take a look.  We have a pc and also a laptop running 10.

0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I have checked the updates on my laptop, none failed.  Will check the main PC.  Can 't believe an update uses 3GB?

0 Ratings