cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newcountrygirl
Beginner
402 Views
Message 1 of 8

browser keeps freezing

Not sure if i am posting this on the correct part of the form so apologies.  I am fairly new to BT fibreoptic broadband.  The past couple of days my browser is really slow and today the blue circle is constantly going round and then freezing up.  I am so fed up as we got the fibreoptic broadband so we would have a quicker connection.  I am not at all computer literate so I apologise in advance. 

I am using mozilla Firefox as a browser as when we first got the BT broadband about a month ago it wouldnt work well with Google but was fairly quick with mozilla.  Now it is hopeless. Please help.

0 Ratings
Reply
7 REPLIES 7
Liam_
Expert
386 Views
Message 2 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing

Try going to Tools in the menu bar, click Options, then Advanced.
Click the Clear Now buttons.
Restart Firefox and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Reply
A1944
Expert
352 Views
Message 3 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing

Is it the browser freezing, or is it a problem with the connection speed?  If you can get onto speedtest.net and check the speeds, you might find that sometimes it is well below the expected figure for Infinity (you should be getting a download figure of at least 30-40 Mbps reported).  If that proves to be the case, then you can start trying to find the reason for that rather than chasing problems with browsers, which could be a red herring.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
342 Views
Message 4 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing

What makes you say that the OP should be getting at least 30-40Mbps on Infinity. Infinity is sold at anything from 15Mbps to 80Mbps and below 15Mbps fibre is sold as Faster Broadband.

 

The OP needs to post the estimate for his line, the stats, if obtainable from his Homehub a speed test and the guaranteed minimum speed that BT said he would get.

 

Once that information is known it may be possible to assist the OP.

0 Ratings
Reply
A1944
Expert
339 Views
Message 5 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing


@gg30340 wrote:

What makes you say that the OP should be getting at least 30-40Mbps on Infinity. Infinity is sold at anything from 15Mbps to 80Mbps and below 15Mbps fibre is sold as Faster Broadband.


True, but I think most people probably get well over the minimum.  Anyway, for symptoms as described, if it were a speed problem, it would probably have dropped to something around 1 Mbps or worse.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
333 Views
Message 6 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing


@A1944 wrote:

True, but I think most people probably get well over the minimum.  Anyway, for symptoms as described, if it were a speed problem, it would probably have dropped to something around 1 Mbps or worse.


That is a bit of a rash statement. There are many people on this forum and no doubt others who get sub 15Mbps on Fibre and certainly sub 30-40Mbps.

 

 

0 Ratings
Reply
A1944
Expert
316 Views
Message 7 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing


@gg30340 wrote:

@A1944 wrote:

True, but I think most people probably get well over the minimum.  Anyway, for symptoms as described, if it were a speed problem, it would probably have dropped to something around 1 Mbps or worse.


That is a bit of a rash statement. There are many people on this forum and no doubt others who get sub 15Mbps on Fibre and certainly sub 30-40Mbps.


OK, noted.  Anyway, the OP would be best (I think) to do a speed test when things are behaving themselves, as a standard for them, and then compare with other speed tests (if they can get them) when they are not.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
302 Views
Message 8 of 8

Re: browser keeps freezing

That's correct, in order to assist in diagnosis of any speed related problems you have to start with the basics so that you know what the poster should be getting and what the poster is getting. The OP needs to post the estimate for his/her line, the stats if obtainable from the Homehub. (Not all Homehubs supply them)  a speed test and the guaranteed minimum speed that BT said he would get. Once that information is known it may be possible to assist the OP.

0 Ratings
Reply