Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albantsui
Message 1 of 9

bt home hub replacement? TP LINK TD-W9980

I have seen this available from bt site selling this one 

TP LINK TD-W9980.

Over 170 quids.... Amazon selling for over 70 quids.

Can I use this to replace BT Home hub 5 that I got for free when I joined bt infinitiy 2 few months ago?

If so, what settings would I need or do I just simply plug in and it will recognise the BT inifinity broadband? Do I need to inform BT about not using BT home hub but using an alternative hardware to use infinity 2?

Cheers

Alban

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Malacath
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: bt home hub replacement? TP LINK TD-W9980

According to the TP link website is has a built in VDSL2 modem so I would say it should work.

Although before buying one wait for one of the experts in this forum to reply and confirm it should work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

I have just bought one in readiness for when we get FTTC shortly. Works fine currently on ADSL, dead simple to setup. For VDSL, the only thing to watch out for is to set the VLAN id to 101 apparently.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

It does have a VDSL modem so it will work with Infinity. It is a direct replacement for the HH5 and connects in the same manner.

Just follow the instructions for setting it up.

You will need to set it up with the username btinternet@btbroadband.com You do not need a password but if the router asks for one just use BT or anything else you want.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Looking at the specs it supports 802.11b/g/n with 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless capability but NOT 801.11ac ie it is not a simultaneous dual band router!! Just in case you thought it did.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@wedding wrote:

Looking at the specs it supports 802.11b/g/n with 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless capability but NOT 801.11ac ie it is not a simultaneous dual band router!! Just in case you thought it did.

Not sure what you mean, agreed its not 802.11ac, but it transmits on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@wedding wrote:

Check out the specs. It has simultaneous dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TD-W9980#fea

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

One possible quirk to look out for. I have been losing PPP connectivity overnight and on checking the WAN PPoA setting, I noticed it defaults to auto_auth which may be causing the problem. I have changed this to CHAP this morning, will report back if this fixes the problem.

9980.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Selecting CHAP manually rather than auto seems to have done the trick.

0 Ratings