cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wilson10
Message 1 of 6

bt hub x2

1 have a 5c master socket which runs my phone and bt hub in the house I have a barn next door (20meters) and would like to a cable to it to run  another bt hub and phone (same number ) can any body give me some advise on how to do this

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: bt hub x2

You can't. You can have a phone on the extension but you you can't have 2 hubs.  To extend the phone run a cable from terminals 2&5 in the removable front faceplate of the master to terminals 2&5 on an extension socket in the barn. If you want internet connection in the barn you will need to connect the 2 hubs via Ethernet and configure the barn hub as a pseudo wireless access point. If the barn is on the same consumer unit as the house, it might be simpler to just use powerline adaptors such as these. https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

You could either run an Ethernet cable from the Hub to the barn and connect a wireless access point to it or if the barn is on the same electrical circuit going through the same consumer unit as the house you could use Powerline adaptors to get your broadband signal to the barn.

See link for BT ones but you can use any manufacturers.

https://shop.bt.com/category/networking,network-devices,powerline-adapters/11301

EDIT: Posts crossed with liquorice's post.

0 Ratings
Wilson10
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for your reply 

Can I just use a router instead of a hub

The barn has its own consumer unit 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

You cannot connect a hub or any router to the same phone line as existing hub. Only 1 router to a phone line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

No, you can't have 2 DSL routers of any description on one line.

You can connect a wireless access point by Ethernet cable to your hub or convert a spare hub/router as a pseudo access point as I said before. To do this you need to give the second hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main hub, turn off DHCP on the second hub/router and connect the 2 devices LAN port to LAN port via a CAT5E Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings