cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

can I browse to a tld .world domain from bt broadband?

Go to solution

I have a registered domain, ender.world which resolves at, for example, google's dns 8.8.8.8

If I put ender.world into a browser it condescendingly says "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site." - I do wish technical infrastructure didn't make attempts at humour.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: can I browse to a tld .world domain from bt broadband?

Go to solution

Do you have a web server at the domain?

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@withwrote:

I have a registered domain, ender.world which resolves at, for example, google's dns 8.8.8.8

If I put ender.world into a browser it condescendingly says "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site." - I do wish technical infrastructure didn't make attempts at humour.

Hi @with  As far as I can see it was only registered yesterday. You need to wait at least 48 hours before all DNS servers pick it up.

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you @VeteranISPUser, it's possible it's a propagation issue. I have a foreboding though. I don't think I can see any other .world domains regardless of how long they've been registered. If you can see one I'd be interested to know its URL.

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

It's set on parking. That removes all the have-I-set-it-up-wrong options.

0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@withwrote:

Thank you @VeteranISPUser, it's possible it's a propagation issue. I have a foreboding though. I don't think I can see any other .world domains regardless of how long they've been registered. If you can see one I'd be interested to know its URL.

Hi @with. To repeat @licquorice  question, is there a web site available at ender.world to test?

Sorry, crossed post. 

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Press on, shall we?

More than 48 hours have elapsed, this is not a propagation issue or a setup issue.

If anyone can browse to any .world domain using the BT DNS, or if anyone can browse to any .world domain using any alternative DNS, perhaps they could post sufficient detail here to repeat the observation. From there we might be able to focus in on solving my puzzle.

0 Ratings
RobertM
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I can browse gov.world using BT DNS no problem at all, not tried any other with that TLD.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@withwrote:

Press on, shall we?

More than 48 hours have elapsed, this is not a propagation issue or a setup issue.

If anyone can browse to any .world domain using the BT DNS, or if anyone can browse to any .world domain using any alternative DNS, perhaps they could post sufficient detail here to repeat the observation. From there we might be able to focus in on solving my puzzle.

Hi.

There is something wrong with the site. I've checked via various proxies, and indeed a whois search shows the site as inactive.

https://who.is/whois/ender.world

I too can see other .world sites without issue.

0 Ratings
with
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Ah. I'd not heard of that one. Damn, there goes another theory. Yes, I can browse that page too. Odd people though.

That's an exact answer to my question, thank you.

Regarding propagation times, as a footnote: my experience over the last few years is that sites become visible within minutes, not days. Changes may well take "at least 48 hours before all DNS servers pick it up" because of cacheing with several-day TTL settings, which is why I usually set 300 seconds on my domains, but from initial registration? An hour at the outside. The only time dependency from registration is how long the registrar takes to update the master DNS record on his own server.

0 Ratings