Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

careline and broadband

Afternoon

I have just got broadband for my elderly parents address but am having trouble connecting the router - they have Careline installed so am conscious about disconnecting lines etc..  I have tried and the router is showing purple meaning the broadband cable is fitted incorrectly.  I have tried various things an am unable to get anywhere.  It doesn't go live until tomorrow but thought I'd still be able to set the box up ready.  any help would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: careline and broadband

If the service isn't active yet I would expect the lights to be a different colour. Is this brand new broadband or are they moving from a new provider

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@carys228 

Wait until it becomes live, and see if there is still a problem.

A careline needs to be wired so that its filtered from the broadband signal. Usually it would be plugged into the phone side of the microfilter.

What does their master phone socket look like, and where is the careline box connected to?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

A careline should be connected like this, assuming there is also a phone in use.

careline.jpg

If they have a master socket with separate phone and broadband sockets, then the careline must be plugged into the phone socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

it's brand new.. I wasn't expecting anything to work just thought i'd be able to get the right colour on the box!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

thanks very much for this - I will check later..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@carys228 wrote:
thanks very much for this - I will check later..

It can be difficult to sort out if the careline is wired into the master socket, it depends on whether its one that is plugged in somewhere, or if it was professionally installed.

If it has been installed professionally, then its likely to be wired to the extension terminals of the master socket, which is probably on like picture 1.

If that is the case, then a filtered faceplate would have to be fitted, and the careline rewired to the filtered side of the faceplate.

If the careline is not isolated from the broadband then you may not get a connection, and there would be a loud noise on the careline speaker, and the broadband would disconnect when its used.

Some careline providers do incorporate a broadband filter in their equipment or within their connection block.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I’ve been on to Careline and they’ll come out and sort it all out thankfully. I’d rather it’s done properly rather than me messing with it.  Thanks for your reply. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@carys228 wrote:

I’ve been on to Careline and they’ll come out and sort it all out thankfully. I’d rather it’s done properly rather than me messing with it.  Thanks for your reply. 

They should know exactly what to do, as they must have done it many times before, as broadband has been around for a long time now. They may have their own inline filter which stops the broadband signal getting into the alarm unit.