Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ironside
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: connect external hdd to home hub

Go to solution

I have just purchased a  Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0.

It is showing as being connected to my BT hub, but I still can't seem to find it.  I have changed the name of the device to usb1.  What exactly should I type into file Explorer?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

See message 2 of this thread. You need to map the drive and also enable SMB1 in Windows 10.

0 Ratings
Ironside
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Bingo!!  It's working.  Not sure why it wouldn't work when I typed manually into the address bar.  I copied the link from this thread and pasted it in.  Then it worked.  Thanks very much

0 Ratings
Ironside
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Can somebody tell me why every now and then when I switch my computer on and go to "my PC" the external drive has a red cross over the top of it and it's not accessible?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

No, but it happens to me too. A restart (rather than power cycle) of my laptop fixes it. The strange thing is that my backup software, Acronis, can still access the drive despite not being available in explorer.

Edit: Haven't bothered before, but Googling reveals it is a common W10 problem

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Edit: Haven't bothered before, but Googling reveals it is a common W10 problem

I have one W10 PC that has suffered from this for longer than I can remember. It only happens after I have turned off my PC,  which I rarely do.  Most times a restart works but on occasions I have to carry out a network reset.

I have tried many of the so called "fixes" as offered by an Internet search and none work. The problem always returns. Life is to short trying to resolve it so I just live with it.   

Ironside
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks guys.  I'm glad it's not just me.  I will also just now live with it.

0 Ratings