cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blakemere
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

connect external hdd to home hub

Hi,can i hook up an external hdd to the hh6,using the usb port,i want to be able to view and use files stored on it over my home wifi network,just had an online chat with BT who said it wasnt possible,when i questioned why they disconnected the chat ??? any ideas please

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: connect external hdd to home hub

Yes, just map a network drive to \\192.168.1.254\usb1.  If you are using W10 you will need to enable SMB1 as it deprecated and disabled by default.  Go to Control panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off > Expand SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support and tick SMB1.0/CIFS Client

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Welcome to this user forum.

You can, but it will be very slow and can be unreliable.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-6-or-HH6-USB-biggest-hard-drive-it-ca...

0 Ratings
blakemere
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

cheers ,thought you could just cant understand why bt said you couldnt ??????

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Because it wasn't on their script so it was easier for them to say no.

0 Ratings
Gasman2020
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I have managed to get network access of a drive connected to the hub USB port working with a number of thumb drives, sd cards in an adapter and also with a 320GB USB2 portable HDD. Although I had no great expectations, it does seem to work although the speed is not great. I haven't had problems with instability in general. However, I have been completely unable to connect a WD portable external 1T HDD. This disk is a USB3 model. The drive appears to spin up but is not accessible.

USB3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with USB2 although it does support higher power requrement devices - 900mA vs 500mA. USB HDD dives should work at 500mA but it would seem that read write cycles probably push this to the limit. I would be intersted if this is one of the issues that users have come up against when trying to use HDD on the BTHub.

Just wondered if anyone has had any sucess with any USB3 devices or if this is expecting too much form my BTHub6? I am awaiting a USB volt/current dongle to check what is happening.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

My SH2 won't power up a Toshiba USB3 external drive although it works fine with thumb drives. Keep meaning to get a powered USB hub to see if that gets it to work.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I have a WD USB3 portable hard drive connected to my SH2 and works ok and accessible on my network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Just to clarify, is that a USB powered or external powered device?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

USB powered

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings