cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
eddy64
Message 1 of 7

constant bt drop outs...which replacement third party router is best

Apologies if this is in on the wrong board.

Since March this year I have been getting constant drop outs from bt bb...today is one of the worse with it dropping out for a couple of minutes every 10 to 20 minutes, I have made countless phone calls/online chats and even had an engineer out but still it keeps happening.

I had 12 months with no problems but 3 months into a 24 contract renewal its all gone boobies up,it's dropping out now as I'm trying to type this.

Advice from bt is next to useless although I have yet to try a factory reset which I found out about by reading threads on here concerning the same problem I am having but posted by others.

Ideally the third party router would have to have 5ghz wireless capability as well as the normal adsl connections which is how most of my stuff is connected...ie bt tv box,amazon,pioneer n50 (although that won't connect at all to desktop now) and desktop pc is hard wired.

So could anybody suggest a suitable router to buy... I am on superfast fibre 1 ...what ever that is!

Regards

eddy

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: constant bt drop outs...which replacement third party router is best

before you buy a 3rd party router and maybe have same problems what have you actually tried to see if you can improve your current setup and stop the connection drops

eg

are you using test socket with a filter even though you may currently have a filtered master socket

have you checked for line noise   dial 17070 option2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

can you post stats from hub  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Try what @imjolly has suggested first

If you really must have 5GHz then the TP Link AC1900 (Archer VR900) is one option, but its about £120.

If you can do without 5GHz then the TP Link TD-W9970 at about £40, will do everything you need, and access to all 13 wireless channels insted of the three that the home hub has.

Remember, 5GHz has very limited range and its a lot of extra money to pay out, just to prove a possible fault.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
eddy64
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the advice... I have done all the usual turn on/off as suggested by bt phone staff and even reset to factory.
The factory reset went ok as in the router did reset but 5 mins after it dropped out again for around a minute.
The day I posted the question was quite a bad day for it with countless drop outs over a 4 hr period,evening it settled down....then the next couple of days no drop outs.
It did drop out twice yesterday,once in the afternoon and again in the late evening.
Having said all the above there really is no set pattern to any of it and it occurs randomly.
I'm not ot good at doing what you have asked concerning the router...in fact I have not got a clue what you are talking about :-(...but thanks all the same.
I have a master socket 5c fitted and the router is bt smart hub type A...whatever that is!
0 Ratings
eddy64
Message 5 of 7

Isn't 5ghz more stable then?...tbh I have no idea what the bt router I have is concerning tech spec!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

you need to enter hub manager  192.168.1.254 into address bar then use admin password to enter hub  then go to advanced settings then technical log information and post the stats you see

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
eddy64
Message 7 of 7

here it is....

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ62505957

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

27-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 7 Minutes 53 Seconds

Data rate:

8.50 Mbps / 30.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

29159 / 80514

Noise margin:

19.7 dB / 19.7 dB

Line attenuation:

12.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

4097 MB Uploaded / 4117 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XP3X

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-XP3X

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:41:BE:A3

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Thanks for the instruction although I have no idea what it all means above.

0 Ratings