cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

constant disconnections of one particular device

I so hope one you of you technical types can help here.  My chromebook regulary fails to hold a wifi connection to the hub - it constantly cycles around connected / disconnected every 10 secs or so.  Rebooting the router hub 5a cures it for a day or so.

Ive noticed lots of client associated / disassociated in the log is this a clue to you guys?

2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are on different SSIDs.

It connects OK on a wired ethernet connection.

It connects OK elsewhere (i.e. on a different router)

examples from the logs:

derekb_0-1614432328506.png

I dread phoning anyone at BT and going round the turn it off / on routine so really hope someone here can help. (could it be as simple "you need a new router" if so how do I request one). 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: constant disconnections of one particular device

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub5 

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

You should also select the 2.4Ghz wireless channel rather than letting the HH5 do it.

Channel 13 is usually the least congested because it is not routinely selected by routers. If you get a warning message when you select it just ignore it. The warning is because it is a channel that can not be used in the USA.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for such a quick reply.  Smart set-up is already off.

I've now turned the 2.4 Ghz channel selection from automatic to channel 13 as you suggested so we'll see if that helps (whats your thinking here? it usually seems to select channel 11 btw) .

I've left 5 Ghz on auto.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It "may" be that channel 11 being selected by the router is congested and is used by other routers around you and this is causing your device to "fight" for it.

If you are using channel 13 it is likely that no other router in the area is using it and therefore will not be congested and will probably only have your devices on it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

hmm thought that might have helped but chromebook is still failing to hold connection....

derekb_0-1614619494621.png

0 Ratings