cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chilton
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

constant drop of Wi-Fi and wired connection

I came onto bt in August. speed is fine but everyday im having to reconnect one appliance or another to the router. the pc is an almost daily issue having to reset the Ethernet adapter(wired on a power line adapter) my printer is also near daily having to either turn it off and on or re input the wifi password to connect to the router also a intermittent slow transfer from my mobile devices to the printer (minutes between pages on a 5 page document where its usually a couple of seconds to transer a document of upto 50 pages) occasionally have to reimput the Wi-Fi for mobiles devices too.

if it was occasional it wouldn't be an issue but it's every device and daily.

now my question is do I try get a replacement router or just suck it up and buy my own.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: constant drop of Wi-Fi and wired connection

Buy a decent third party VDSL Modem router. They start in price at about £30. The TP Link one is used by a lot of forum members.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 9

I concur with @gg30340 , ISP supplied routers are rubbish. Get yourself a decent one within your budget.

0 Ratings
chilton
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

thanks will have a look around see what's about.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@chilton wrote:
thanks will have a look around see what's about.

Look at menu item 5 on the Forumhelp website.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Have you turned off smart setup ?  

Have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks and I would also select the channels manually and turn off auto select 

you try try this before thinking about the single band tplink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@imjolly its dropping Ethernet connections as well, so its not just a wireless issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@imjolly its dropping Ethernet connections as well, so its not just a wireless issue.

Can try and improve wifi and then look at the power line adapter that is connecting the pc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chilton
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Yeah I've played around with all the settings in the router, turning off smart setup and optimising the WiFi several times, complete resets too. Works for a day or so then it's back to the same old crud. 

If I didn't rely on my pc and printer for my buisness it probably wouldn't be such an issue.

Gone for a TP-Link AC1900. Hopefully this will do the job nicely while still giving me a connection in the attic.

0 Ratings